• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Driftwood Questions

dankdabe

Members
I have an awesome large piece of driftwood, see attached, that I picked up in the Northern Neck of VA late this summer roasting out in the sun on the beach. Over several months I've attempted to leech tannins by submerging 3/4 of it in boiling water in a 5 gal bucket, alternating sides to make sure all of it is submerged at one point or another. I've probably boiled it 20 times over the past few months. Its been sitting dry for the last month and a half, but I would really like to throw it in my 55 gallon Jack Dempsey tank. I boiled it twice last night and it still leeches tannins but isnt bad. I've read several things and want some feedback. Essentially I want to know if you all think I should throw it in there. Several questions:

A) I've read that some people think its automatically a no-no to use driftwood that has been in saltwater. Is that really a problem if its been boiled many many times?

B) The bottom of it, see second picture, #4, was rotting (soft, easily breaking off) so I chipped, and sawed away until I reached hard wood. Is this a problem? You can see in the picture that some dark green mold (quarter size) has grown on it after having been left idle for the past month and half. It would seem that this is natural given that the wood has been wet and then left to "dry-out" in a basement...

C) As you can see in the photo of the water (in a glass and in the bucket with the piece) that tannins are leeching out and the water is left tinted. I've heard this is harmless. Anyone's two cents?

Sorry for the overly long email. Just looking for feedback and want to make sure its safe before making a bad decision.

Thanks,

David

driftwood 003.jpg

driftwood 004.jpg

driftwood 005.jpg

driftwood 006.jpg

driftwood 007.jpg

driftwood 008.jpg

driftwood 009.jpg

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
good looking piece of wood...and tasty beer as well. :)

Haven't heard the thing about not using saltwater wood in a tank, so I can't comment on that.

About the rotting wood, I think you did the right thing and it should be fine in that regard. As for the tannins, they are harmless, even beneficial to the tank chemistry (so long as the darker water doesn't bug you).

jonclark96

Past CCA President
+1 on tannins being beneficial to the fish if you don't mind the tinted water. I also have not heard bad things about using wood that has been in salt water. I would think the worst thing that could happen is that some of the salt could come out to the tank water, but it wouldn't be enought to hurt much. If you are concerned, up the water changes when you first put it in the tank.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
+1 on tannins being beneficial to the fish if you don't mind the tinted water. I also have not heard bad things about using wood that has been in salt water. I would think the worst thing that could happen is that some of the salt could come out to the tank water, but it wouldn't be enought to hurt much. If you are concerned, up the water changes when you first put it in the tank.

+1

dankdabe

Members
Awesome, just what I wanted to here! I'll up some pics after I throw it in there tonight.

Thanks,

David

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I say throw it in and it will be gorgeous in your tank. A bit of a tan tint is nice in a soft water tank. Don't be surprised if it floats for awhile.

George

frkyltn

Members
just up the water changes and dont get frustrated with the tan water for a lil while..the fish will be fine

mscichlid

Founder
I would rather put a piece of driftwood found on the beach in my tank rather than one from a freshwater source because of the trymagolmites (made up word) that could otherwise infect your freshwater system.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Looks like putting it in your tank would be very dangerous, with the salt, the saltwater microorganisms, and the tannins.

I'll be happy to take it off your hands and dispose of it safely. :)

Seriously, it's a very nice piece of wood. I expect it will be fine in your tank.