• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Can too much Prime kill a fish?

frankoq

Members
I just lost my German Red. :sick0004: he was about 2.5 inches and starting to develop his colors.

about 2 weeks ago, he started to be lethargic and others started beating him.
Got fin damage so I moved it to a hospital 10g tank. barely ate for a few days, added salt. did 50% water change every other day.
about 5 days later, he started eating, he started to look very active. body started to look better. he started to eat.
Last night, I did a 50% wc and added a cup full of Prime.

This morning, he did not eat, he was heavy breathing, and was not moving much. I tested water and all fine:
PH = 8, Nitrites = 0, Ammo = 0, Nitrates = 5.
I did another 50% wc and then left.
I just got back and found it dead. :(

The only thing I can think I did wrong was to put a cap full of prime.

Any thoughts?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
This is from prime up to 5 caps in certain cases? Probably something else coupled with stress of producing more slime coat. (someone once described prime and other slime coat promoters are like rubbing or poking your eye to produce tears)

Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. This removes approximately 1 mg/L ammonia, 4 mg/L chloramine, or 5 mg/L chlorine. For smaller doses, please note each cap thread is approx. 1 mL. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

frankoq

Members
The only other thing I did differently this time was to fill the tank with a hose and then apply the Prime. Previously, I was filling up a bucket, applying prime to the bucket and then pour the water into the tank.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Prime reduces oxygen. A cap is enough for 50 gallons, as Will noted. In a ten gallon tank, you'd normally use a 1/5 of a cap. So you put in 5 times as much Prime as needed. Seachem says that should be okay:

"It is completely safe to do a double dose of Prime in order to detoxify higher levels of ammonia. In fact, in emergency situations, up to 5 times the recommended amount of Prime is safe."

http://www.seachem.com/support/forums/showthread.php?t=4156

Ading522

Members
The only other thing I did differently this time was to fill the tank with a hose and then apply the Prime. Previously, I was filling up a bucket, applying prime to the bucket and then pour the water into the tank.

I do not think that makes any difference as I used to do the same before..add water to bucket and then prime..mix then add to tank.. But now I just add the water to the tank, and put prime while the water is filling up.. I try to make the water splash in so that the oxygen is maximized. Maybe the temp was too great a difference? Some fish are really sensitive to temp change, and a 50% water change is big..adding that the water temp would have been totally different, it could be the reason.

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

frankoq

Members
Thanks for all the comments.
It might have been a severe temp change. I keep the 90g and the 10g at 80 F.
Tap water might have been less than that but not drastically cold.
Oh well. I'm still sad about this guy more so because I saw him almost dead, then very lively and then dead. :(
On a bright side, Aquamania here I come and I need fish. :)

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators

Did you mean to say that you filled the tank and then added prime, or you added prime while the tank was filling?

Becca

Members
Also, if there was any water that had been sitting in your hose, it could've absorbed toxins from the hose, had weird bacteria in it, etc.

frankoq

Members
Did you mean to say that you filled the tank and then added prime, or you added prime while the tank was filling?

For the hospital tank, I usually fill up a bucket and add prime to it.
stir it and then put the water in the tank.

For this incident, I put the water in the tank with a hose and then added prime to the tank.

frankoq

Members
Also, if there was any water that had been sitting in your hose, it could've absorbed toxins from the hose, had weird bacteria in it, etc.

Mmm... that's a good point.
I have a dedicated hose for the fish tank.
i keep it indoors. in this occasion, I did a water change on the 90g first and then did the hospital tank. So all the sitting water went into the 90g.
:( from now on, I will make sure to drain the hose from sitting water before I fill up the tank.