• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

RTM x LaCieba HYBRID

blkmjk

Members
Well I came home from vacation and found the stunning female RTM I got from tparker and the LaCieba male I got from RichOne spawned. I pulled the free swimming fry yesterday and stuck them in a 10. Is there any interest in seeing these guys grow out? I don't necessarily want them but wouldn't mind growing out some to see what they look like when they mature. I would maybe pass some around once they get some size on them if people are interested ?

Drew

uploadfromtaptalk1373905447230.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I wouldn't spread them around. It's too confusing once you do...

Find a male RTM and get some pure bred going instead.

blkmjk

Members
I have a ton of Red Tigers still so plenty of opportunity to get pure breeding going on. My grow outs are all F1 Rio Blanco. J have 5 from Umbee King and about 10 from Dan. Which means you could still pick some up from me.Just waiting for them to put on some size. I saw a the red tiger/ gold tiger mixes that DQ bred and Mike grew out and wondered if these would look as awesome as those? They have the most blue spangling on parachromis I had ever seen.

Drew

dogofwar

CCA Members
The Rio Blanco is a smaller tributary to the Rio Copan, so (at least according to Ken Davis), RTM from both places are the same fish.

I'd also recommend not letting the fry out there. Too much opportunity for confusion :)

Matt

Drew I would not mind get a few of your RTMs to put with the ones I got from T Parker. I will hit later today to see if we can work something out.

blkmjk

Members
Oh cool didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I have a large Rio Copan that killed his mate. Quite odd considering the aggression she always shown him with little to no retaliation back. Just found her chewed up. I don't feel so obligated to keep him then. All though his parents would be more than likely a different location point with two different F1s already I have plenty of gene pool variation.

Drew

dogofwar

CCA Members
All of the Rio Blanco/Rio Copan RTM in the hobby came from four collecting trips that Ken Davis made from 2006-2009.

The two waterways are connected so they're really the same location (it's just easier to collect in the tributary vs. the main river).

All of the Parachromis sp. "La Ceiba" in the hobby came from a trip that Ken made in, I think 2008. There were only ever two pairs of wild fish in captivity (Ken's and Rusty Wessel's). Ken went back to the small lagoon (behind their hotel) in Honduras where these fish were caught on a subsequent trip and found that someone had developed the property, all the trees were gone and the water was nasty with an oil slick on the surface.

So the wild population is now gone.

Matt

Oh cool didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I have a large Rio Copan that killed his mate. Quite odd considering the aggression she always shown him with little to no retaliation back. Just found her chewed up. I don't feel so obligated to keep him then. All though his parents would be more than likely a different location point with two different F1s already I have plenty of gene pool variation.

Drew