• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Sand from Leslie's

TeamPisces

CCA Members
Does anyone have any experience with the pool filter sand from Leslie's Pool Supply? They sell 50lb bags of silica sand #20. Does pool filter sand normally come with a warning label about inhaling the dust and risk of lung damage?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
I use it all the time. Yes, there's a warning....you don't want to breathe a lot of the dust.

and nope, I don't wash it. It's great stuff!

Ading522

Members
I used Leslie's from day one I started using sand..never washed..looks great..can't beat the price.. The tank will not cloud if you add sand first then water by putting it on a plate/small cup to prevent sand from being stirred up or add water for bout 2-4 inches then the sand and wait for it to clear before adding water in a slow flow. Better IMO than having sand particles in the tanks filters..

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

AquaStudent

Members
I can add to the testimonies.

I got my PFS from Leslie's. I love it! I washed it a few times and there was almost no clouding.

1badmarine

I picked up some of the pfs from Ace Hardware and love it. Didn't take a bunch of washing

JasonC

Members
is the Leslies brand the pfs that is a gorgeous tan color, or was that another brand... cant remember which is white and which is tan...

TeamPisces

CCA Members
Leslies sand

The Leslie Pool Supply store where I purchased the sand kept their bags stored outside. Were the sand bags you purchased also kept outside? The bags I purchased were kept outside. I tried one bag out in my 37 gallon. I rinsed half the sand for about 20 minutes in the basement tub. I put the sand in the tank with 2 inches of water and filled tank up. Water is cloudy after six hours with no filter. Will the filter clear it up or should I be doing water changes?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
It will clear in time but a filter will help it clear quicker imo. It took about a day and a half for my 40b to clear.

Ading522

Members
The Leslie Pool Supply store where I purchased the sand kept their bags stored outside. Were the sand bags you purchased also kept outside? The bags I purchased were kept outside. I tried one bag out in my 37 gallon. I rinsed half the sand for about 20 minutes in the basement tub. I put the sand in the tank with 2 inches of water and filled tank up. Water is cloudy after six hours with no filter. Will the filter clear it up or should I be doing water changes?

How did you fill the tank after you put the sand? I had mine clear out after 6 hours.. I didn't even wash it..I don't think storing the sand either outside or I side would make a difference..I bought about 8 bags and stored the excess in the garage through the with tee..set up a couple of tanks with the sand and they still clear out after 6 hours..

TeamPisces

CCA Members
How did you fill the tank after you put the sand? I had mine clear out after 6 hours.. I didn't even wash it..I don't think storing the sand either outside or I side would make a difference..I bought about 8 bags and stored the excess in the garage through the with tee..set up a couple of tanks with the sand and they still clear out after 6 hours..

Refilled by python into two inches water. I let the water run down the side of the wall.

spazmattik

Members
After about a day if mine is still cloudy i do a good water change and it usually solves the problem. The filter will help as well.

TeamPisces

CCA Members
I screwed this sand thing up

Okay, no sense being embarrassed because we all make mistakes. Anyway, I believe I have screwed up. Looking for suggestions. I did not rinse the pool filter sand. I know some have reported no issues when they did not rinse before adding to their tanks, but that was not my situation. :blush:

At this point should I A) stir up the sand that is in the tank and try to siphon the debris that is suspended in the water or B) just empty the tank and take the sand out and rinse it in buckets and put back in.

Trying to use my filter is of no help. I feel that I would end up damaging the motor.

Both ways sound like a lot of work, but I rather get it right. On the plus side, it only happened in my 37 gallon. I haven't messed with my 55 yet.

ErnieG

Members
Does anyone have any experience with the pool filter sand from Leslie's Pool Supply? They sell 50lb bags of silica sand #20. Does pool filter sand normally come with a warning label about inhaling the dust and risk of lung damage?

Hands down the best sand ever, I use it in every single tank I own.