• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hello from good ole Louisiana!!!

aprill85

Members
Hey everyone!

I am very new to aquariums, unless you count the goldfish I won at the fair as a child (although, he did live 6 years). I've only had African Cichlids for about 5 or 6 months but have fallen in love with these guys!

Feel free to give me ANY suggestions you may have, I want to learn as much as possible, but I get mixed advice in the fish stores around my home.

Thanks for letting me join, I am excited to be a part of this awesome forum!

aprill85

Members
Welcome ... What tanks do you have

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Well I am new, so nothing fancy yet. I only have a basic 20 gal and a 10 gal (kinda like my 'time out' tank for hurt fish or bullies). I only have three cichlids, had 8 at one time but unfortunately I did something wrong (have no idea what) and lost most of them in one weekend.

Aprill :)

verbal

CCA Members
I suspect the main problem is tank size, African cichlids really need much more space than a 20 gallon provides.

+1 Especially on Malawi cichlids.

Although shell-dwellers and some of the smaller cave spawning Tanganyikan cichlids are great for a 20 long.

aprill85

Members
I suspect the main problem is tank size, African cichlids really need much more space than a 20 gallon provides.

That's what some people tell me, but I went to a specialty fish store and he is breeding African Cichlids and he told me that the tank size wasn't a big deal.....glad that you confirmed that I need a bigger tank :). Now to find one! Thanks for the help!

Acpape0

Members
That's what some people tell me, but I went to a specialty fish store and he is breeding African Cichlids and he told me that the tank size wasn't a big deal.....glad that you confirmed that I need a bigger tank :). Now to find one! Thanks for the help!

Pretty common ...." Sure you tank is big enough for the fish that I am trying to sell you " lol hit up Craigslist and buy a used tank at least 55 gallons and keep your current tank as a hospital tank

aprill85

Members
Pretty common ...." Sure you tank is big enough for the fish that I am trying to sell you " lol hit up Craigslist and buy a used tank at least 55 gallons and keep your current tank as a hospital tank

That makes a lot of sense....he was a salesman. Okay, I will start searching around for a good tank that is 55 gal or more, depending on what's available. I will definitely need a hospital tank, these guys beat each other up from time to time. Thanks for the help :)

Localzoo

Board of Directors
That makes a lot of sense....he was a salesman. Okay, I will start searching around for a good tank that is 55 gal or more, depending on what's available. I will definitely need a hospital tank, these guys beat each other up from time to time. Thanks for the help :)

Always good to have a Qt tank.
Once you get a bigger tank they might fight less...but there are other variables tooo like sex etc