• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Why/How to get my midas cichlid to take live food?

Nick540

Members
I have an Oscar a jack Dempsey and recently a midas I mostly feed the other 2 earthworms but for some reason the midas won't eat the worm? So he eats cichlid sticks is there a way to get him to eat worms? Thanks

jonclark96

Past CCA President
About the only way I know how to "make" a fish eat a specific food is to only feed that food until it gets hungry enough to eat. Usually, people are trying to get their fish to eat something besides live food. If your Midas is happy to eat pellets, then let him eat pellets. It's probably better for him in the long run.

verbal

CCA Members
There are a number of high quality prepared foods available, so feeding live food is only necessary for very few cichlids.

Definitely agree with Jon, if he will eat pellets let him eat pellets.

verbal

CCA Members
I think they are a pretty good food source in terms of high protein and low fat/carb. However I would be concerned about them missing crucial vitamins or minerals and possibly even having some incomplete amino acids.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Worms are pretty high in protien. If one were to only feed earthworms, but feed them in moderation as a fish may actually eat in their natural environment, it may be a decent diet to a purely carnivorous fish. Feeding earthworms as a regular diet on a daily basis would likely cause the fish to be overweight and lead to a shorter life span, just like with people. I don't have any scientific evidence to back this up, just my personal opinion.

I find that using live foods as a supplement and for conditioning for breeding works best. A good quality pellet, fed in moderation, is the best way to go. Based on the advice from several of our speakers over the years, I have actually cut back on feedings to 4-5 days a week.

Nick540

Members
also I have a reverse problem also my big Oscar will only take big fat worms if it's better to have a balanced diet I can I get that big boy to eat pellets now lol im using terta large cichlid sticks maybe he would eat hikari cichlid gold large pellets but I still don't see him getting full off pellets by the size of the worms he eats lmao

mchambers

Former CCA member
I concur

I find that using live foods as a supplement and for conditioning for breeding works best. A good quality pellet, fed in moderation, is the best way to go. Based on the advice from several of our speakers over the years, I have actually cut back on feedings to 4-5 days a week.
+1

It's hard to resist the temptation to feed our fish every day, but I try to feed no more than 5 days a week, and often less. I feed pretty heavily when I do feed, however.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I know that there are a number of folks who want to grow their fish as big and fast as possible, but I believe that "power feeding" ultimately leads to the premature death of many aquarium fish. Most fish will eat until their bellies are bulging. It isn't necessary in my opinion. Let them grow at a steady pace. Clean water and quality food is a better way to get growth than over-feeding.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
+1

It's hard to resist the temptation to feed our fish every day, but I try to feed no more than 5 days a week, and often less. I feed pretty heavily when I do feed, however.

Man I feed every time they give me puppy dog eyes, and follow me around...smh they got me whipped lol

Agreed with the balanced diet. If you can, feeding a variety of food is best because it will help them get vit/min they otherwise wouldn't get eating one item.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app