• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need expert tank builder advice.

bbryan9455

Members
I have two tiger oscars, two firemouths cichlids, a Jack Dempsey, a blue acara, and a Jack hybrid all about 4 inches long in a 55 gallon tank. My Oscar's are growing pretty fast so I want to build custom tank to fit In the space below. I want to make the tank out of 1/2 in glass. With the dimensions of: 36" long, 25" wide, and 48" tall. Acrylic Is out the picture it's too expensive. Any advice/suggestions will be apreciated

uploadfromtaptalk1427044626673.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1427044755446.jpg

I don't see how you can save money by building your own tank, not to mention the risk of a failed tank that can flood your room. 48" is a very tall tank that generates high pressure, requiring extra thick glass that is extra expensive and extra risky. Even commercial glass tanks don't come that tall. Acrylic is the way to go if you want odd dimensions and safety.

1/2" glass is too thin for a 48" tall tank. I think 3/4" would even be too thin but probably possible. It's darn near impossible to get and extremely expensive and heavy. Not to mention the green coloration you get unless you go with ultra clear glass.

Your better off with 1" thick acrylic. At those thicknesses acrylic is actually cheaper. In which case purchasing it from a manufacturer with an oven to cure it would be best.
Andy

JLW

CCA Members
One of the reasons you do not generally see tanks that tall is the amount of pressure put on the front (and back) panels will be unreal. They're going to bow, and it'll be incrediblly difficult to brace them reasonably and aesthetically. You could put braces around the side, which would help, but they're going to stand out, unless you somehow incorporated them into a design. Similarly, you could brace the back.

Using the super thick, 1/2" glass will definitely help, but it can only do so much against the weight of water that wants to be on the floor. :)

You also run into a very small surface area problem, where your oxygen exchange will be reduced. Lastly, having worked in really deep tanks, it's going to be a pain in the butt to clean, especially because of the small amount of access room through the top!

What I would suggest would be to turn this tank on its side. Make it 48" long, 25" wide, and 36" tall, or better yet, 48x36x36. You can better brace this design with a cross across the top, you'll fit lids easier, and it won't be impossible to clean.

Plus, that's a decent sized tank for some of those fish.

bbryan9455

Members
Thanks for the help,its appreciated. I understand the problem with the dimensions now. This is my first tank and I got a little carried away when I bought my fish. I liked them all:D. Where can I see the things for sale on here? And if anyone is selling or knows someone selling a 100+ gallon tank let me know
Thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App