• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Showing fish

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I'm debating about showing a fish at aquafest. I've never been to a fish show, let alone shown a fish, so I'm not sure whats really involved. I've seen discussions on the logistics of transporting the fish, but what do judges look for? I know some traits are species specific, but I'm sure there are things that are judged the same way across the board. Are newer or line bred strains more likely to place than strains that have been around for a long time? Is there anything to do to prep the fish for the show other than isolate it for a few weeks? Any input would be great.

iamzrad

Members
I'll be showing a fish for the first time as well. I know to isolate it weeks beforehand and feed is regularly. Then a day or two before the show, don't feed so you don't have any 'strands' in the show tank.

Spine

Members
Don't feel like you are the only one who does'nt know what to do,lol. I don't have a clue about what to do since this is my first attempt at a fish show. What I plan on doing is keeping things simple,I'm only bringing one fish to show hoping this will allow me to have more time to absorb what everyone else is doing.

Our president(Pat) suggested that you bring supplies that you will need from home(heater,water,declor,net) just incase, He also recommends moving the fish you are showing into the same size tank that it will be shown in a couple weeks before the event.

I only have two fish that I think are worthy of showing but maybe I'll find out otherwise once I've had a show under my belt. I'm going to this show hoping to be able to walk, later on I might learn how to run:):):)

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Back in 2006 I had this in The Biotope

I've made mistakes, why should you?

Show preparation

By J. Patrick Kelly

In a past article, I discussed my bad experiences with the first fish show I entered. Since that time I have shown fish in five other shows and placed 3rd in two, a 2nd place, and have four 1stplace finishes with two Best of Show awards along with them. In preparing for a show I now have a few things that I always do to get the fish ready.

Since my fish are breeders and not strictly show fish, I start about 3 weeks prior to the show by moving the fish from the breeder tank to a 10-gallon tank of its own. Since the fish tend to get beat up a little in the breeder tank, this will give the fins some time to heal.

The next reason for separation is to get the fish used to a smaller tank. I use a 10-gallon tank because it seems most shows use that size for my type of fish. It is easier to train the fish when he is by himself. Yes, I said train. I try to teach the fish to be more outgoing and come to the front of the tank. Nothing is worse than having a beautiful fish that hides in a corner and will not display to the people who walk by.

I start my training in the new tank by not feeding the fish for a couple of days. When I feel he is good and hungry or he dances in the front of the tank when I come into the room, I know it is starting to work. I will take a flash light and shine it on the fish. If he goes to the back of the tank, he will stay hungry. If he stays up front and looks at me, he gets food. I want him to think people equal food. That way he will dance up front when a person walks up to the tank. After he does it with a flashlight, I will start carrying a clipboard also. Most judges use a clipboard, and I have heard of a few that use flashlights to view the fish. The other reason for a flashlight is, with people walking by, and some taking pictures, there are a lot of shadows and reflections moving around. The last thing you want is for your fish to spook and come flying out of the tank.

A few days prior to the show, I stop feeding again. This will help with the waste output in the bag during transport and especially in the show tank. I do feed just a little during the show if it is more than one day. This will reinforce the people = food process.

In preparing myself for the show, I make of list of needed items. Without a list, you will probably forget something important. You may need different things at each show, but there are some basics. Let's list a few to start. A bucket, net, hose, declorinator, any buffers you normally use, and some bags. The main thing I bring is water. I prefer at least 50% of the water in the show tank to be from the home tank. I feel that there is less stress on the fish this way.

After checking in at the show and getting your tank assignment, start by draining out the appropriate amount of water to make room for yours. Add your buffers and get your fish out of the bag and into the tank as soon as possible. All shows will provide air to your tank. Some put an air stone in and some will provide you a sponge filter. If I know what brand and size sponge filter they use, then I will make sure that I have the same type of sponge in my home tank. For example, if I were going to show a fish at the ACA convention, I know they use the Hydro I sponge filter. I will then put a new one in my fish's tank about a month ahead of time. That filter will follow the fish into the training tank and also into the show tank. I will replace my sponge portion with the one that is put in by the show committee. This way I know that there are some good bacteria in there with my fish, instead of just a new filter with none. If the show provides just an air stone and allows sponge filters, I will use a small Dirt magnet filter. It takes up little room and, since it is flat on the bottom, the fish cannot hide behind it.

If I am going to get to the show a day or so early, I also set the fish up in a tank in my room. I then gradually get him used to the local water. This means adding a tank, a heater, and an air pump to your list. I also take a power filter and a lid when I plan on doing this.

Like I said at the beginning of this article, there is no one right way. These are just the helpful things that I have picked up over the last couple of years.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I don't usually take water anymore.
I did back then. I just make sure to use my own drops in the water.
I know the shows treat the water but I like to be carefull.

Also don't bring a heater. There will be no electric for that. We try to keep the room to temp.
Usually the only thing with heaters in the tanks will be Discus.
Also at this show its only the air stone.
They are not in the tanks long enough to need the filters.

Anybody can show a fish. Its fun. Its rewarding.
Its where its at. lol

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Also don't be afraid to show. It is only as hard as you make it. I know a person that had to add tons of chemicals everytime. Then he wondered why is water was cloudy and you could not see the fish.
Keep it simple. golden rule.

Heck at the last catfish convention I think we had as many cichlids as they had catfish. Or close.
I had like 8 in the show. All in the same class. lol Competing against myself. lol
Matt had like 18 or 20 in the show.

If we can do that for a catfish convention then we should blow that away on our own convention. lol
I know its still a month out but so far I have 1 entry.
Come on. Where is the pride. Go CCA Go. :jumpy::jumpy::jumpy:
Heck if all our members brought one fish that would be 139 of them. lol
Go CCA Go:jumpy::jumpy:

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Thanks for all of the great information Pat. Its kind of an intimidating process when you have no idea what to expect. I'm glad to see there are other people that want to try it but it will be their first time. I'm sure it gets easier every time you do it. I just want to be prepared if I decide to do it so I don't feel so nervous. Its tough to bring one of your most prized fish somewhere without knowing the logistics. Any tips on general features judges look for?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Sadly, I checked with my scheduling consultant (wife) and she informed me that we're going to be up in Maine that weekend for my college buddy's wedding.

I was looking forward to it and am now totally bummed.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Sadly, I checked with my scheduling consultant (wife) and she informed me that we're going to be up in Maine that weekend for my college buddy's wedding.

I was looking forward to it and am now totally bummed.

What?
Heck Tracey and I missed her sisters wedding for a fish convention in Fort Worth a few year ago.
Where are your priorities. LOL:lol:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Judges look for
color for the type of fish.
Does the fish look like it should.
What shape are the fins and the body in.
Deportment. This is how the fish acts.
A good looking fish that dances for the judges and does not hide will score better than perfect fish that hides all the time.

The other thing would be if the show is small, there may not be any others in your class.
If a judge feels that the fish is mislabled or of mixed heritage it can be disqualified but if you bring 3 fish to the show in one class and all are in decent shape and no one else enters that class, then you will have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place certificate.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
The other thing is I like to think fish get used to being shown.
I have taken fish to shows before that don't show well but the next time they show good.
My one peacock got nothing at the catfish convention and turned around a month later and got best in show at the OCA.
I like to think it was because he was used to being bagged up and stuck in a strange tank. I took him to the ACA in Ohio and got a 2nd place. You just never know.
My second show ever got me a Best of show award.
You got to play to win.

lol
am i pushing enough? GO CCA GO:jumpy::jumpy::jumpy:

F8LBITE

Members
Are you sure you want to do that. If it stays like this I'll be sure to win!!!
Looks like I might be the first to register a fish for the show:D:D:D

Kev, if you play your cards right, at the end of the show you can drop your losing fish in with my winner for a victory snack.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Another quick thing.

The smaller the tank the bigger the fish looks.

A 3 inch fish looks a lot bigger in a 2.5 or a 5 gallon tank than it does in a 10.

Pick small.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Wouldn't you want the fish to seem large?

Yes
thats what I ment to say. Don't pick a 10 for a little fish. Pick a smaller tank to make your fish look larger.
You could really do a fish show with nothing but 1gal, 2.5gal and 10s
Takes less space and looks better.