• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

going geophagus?

spazmattik

Members
Recently i lost my red severum and I'd like to replace him with a few efasciatus most likely or possibly another red severum..

That being said i was looking for something different to go with said fish and I thought geophagus would be cool. Some i dont particularly care for but others are quite colorful. I have my eye on rapps current stock of abalios as they seem to be a little more colorful or showy than the tapajos insee pictures of.

Anyone know other sources for geos? Anyone in the club breeding any types? Any advice for some one new to geos other than what is typically out there info wise? Abalios fairly hardy and good for a geophagus newbie?

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I have Gymnogeophagus balzanii -- Argentine humpheads. $5 each at about two to 4 inches. Images on google are good for these, except for the ones with yellow, I do not see much yellow in these fish. Males are double the size of females and really nice when full grown.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
What size tank will they be in? Abalios can get to be 10" when full grown, so you'll need a large tank to house multiple groups. The red-heads are nice because they only get to about 5". Some of the gymnogeos stay small, but they're better suited for colder water, may not be as compatible with the severums.

spazmattik

Members
What size tank will they be in? Abalios can get to be 10" when full grown, so you'll need a large tank to house multiple groups. The red-heads are nice because they only get to about 5". Some of the gymnogeos stay small, but they're better suited for colder water, may not be as compatible with the severums.

Either a 125 or 180. Hmm.. that sucks, i saw something that said they were on the large end of 7 inches max. I do like the idea of gymnogeos but yea, like you said already. :/

spazmattik

Members
I have Gymnogeophagus balzanii -- Argentine humpheads. $5 each at about two to 4 inches. Images on google are good for these, except for the ones with yellow, I do not see much yellow in these fish. Males are double the size of females and really nice when full grown.

Appreciate it Frank but i dont think these are the guys for me. I will however be looking for some panda corries and bristlenose next meeting ;)

rsretep

Members
I have kept and bred Gymno. Balzanni and Geophagus Steindachneri. Another nice Geophagus are the Suranimesis (??? Spelling) had a group of those once that had long fins and beautiful blue and red spangling, last time I saw those they were at HOT Good luck with your search Matt

F8LBITE

Members
Someone on here was selling Geo. Altifrons a little while back. See if theyre still available. They are gorgeous fish.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have kept and bred Gymno. Balzanni and Geophagus Steindachneri. Another nice Geophagus are the Suranimesis (??? Spelling) had a group of those once that had long fins and beautiful blue and red spangling, last time I saw those they were at HOT Good luck with your search Matt

Surinamensis is a general name improperly given to a type species. While new info suggests there may be a surinamensis, it is unlikely to be in the US. HOT has no idea what geo they have. What they label "surinamensis" has included altifrons and megasema, to name a few.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spazmattik

Members
Surinamensis is a general name improperly given to a type species. While new info suggests there may be a surinamensis, it is unlikely to be in the US. HOT has no idea what geo they have. What they label "surinamensis" has included altifrons and megasema, to name a few.

Sent from my VS985 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Interesting. The two you listed and the abalios all look kinda similar. Looks like geophagus may be more confusing than amphilophus. I know how to pick em lol

I have kept and bred G. abalios (and 14 other species as well) and they are a pretty fish but I would only put them in the middle of the scale in terms of attractive geo's.

The hottest looking and newest Geo on the market right now is Geophagus mirabilis which you can get from wetspot. I have a group of F1's that are growing out and they look great even at a juvenile size.

I would also suggest G. winemilleri as another really attractive species.

What Andrew said about G. surinamensis is correct. The real G. surinamensis is not in the hobby but it is used as a trade name for a variety of species. I have purchased G. altifrons, G. abalios, G. dicrozoster, and even Red Head Tapajos all labeled as G. surinamensis in different pet stores.

Currently I am maintaining G. brokopondo, G. winemilleri, G. mirabilis, Red head Tapajos, Satanoperca daemon, Satanoperca jurupari, Acarichthys heckelli, and Retroculus lapidifier.

Andy

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I've kept balzanii in the past and they're great little fish.
As for sources, I've gotten red heads and balzanii from COA and have been very happy with the quality. Jeff rapps is good for geos too.
got 3 red severs left from jeff rapps if interested,cleaning that tank

If matt doesnt take these I will

spazmattik

Members
I've kept balzanii in the past and they're great little fish.
As for sources, I've gotten red heads and balzanii from COA and have been very happy with the quality. Jeff rapps is good for geos too.

If matt doesnt take these I will
I do like the balzanii with the yellow but other pics look kinda plain.

There are two locations for G. balzani. A Brazilian variety and a Uruguayan variety.

The Brazilian variety has duller colors but can take warmer water temperatures year round.

The Uruguayan variety has the brighter yellow color but does best with a cool down period of a couple of months with cooler water (low 60's) annually.

IME a lot of the color has to do more with diet. Even a brightly colored Uruguayan fish tends to become more dull the longer it's in the aquarium. But they are good candidates for outdoor ponds in the summer which can restore color.

Andy

Geophagus is a big genera with species that range from Pacific rim to Atlantic coast, from tropical to subtropical, and from soft water to hard. I have given up on soft water species such as Jurupari, Surinamensis and Red Head Topajo as they all died early or developed ugly HITH in adult. Currently I am raising G. iporangennsis which is a hard water species resembling brasiliensis but smaller. I may try other Uruguay Geos such as Balzanii that do well in my hard tap water.

Good point. All of my Geo's are kept in basically straight RO water. Very soft. Before I trade or sell them I have to spend some time acclimating them up to harder water.

Generally I maintain "transition tanks" for fish I want to get rid of and do 25% water changes with local Milwaukee tap water which is fairly hard for a couple of weeks to a month.

Andy

neut

Members
Severums are a good match with a number of geo species ime, whether tapajos, altifrons, or various suriname 'types'. You just need enough tank space, partly a a matter of which species and how many. As far as needing soft water, not ime. My water is moderately hard (12-14 both GH and KH) and ph mid 7s and I've done fine with them, including successful breeding. Red head tapajos only 5 inches is on the small side ime-- females yes, sometimes males, but I've had a lot of males get 6,7 inches.

Also, the common advice that geos need to be in groups is true only up to a point. Yes, a lot of them are happier in groups as juvies, but a number of species are then perfectly content as a breeding pair with other compatible SA fish in the tank. Not counting steindachneri and it's close kin, which tend to be harem breeders.