• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Geo. altifrons have babies in their mouths!

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Just went to feed them and they started spitting babies out all over the place. Given that they share a tank with 10 medium to large yellow and red firemouths, about 20 Buenos Aries and Columbian tetras, 6 Biotodomo cupidos and ten huge Corydoras robustus (and friends) I''m moderately amazed.

Not like I have a tank I can move them to so am not sure what to do other than to attempt 'stripping' them which seems a bit bizarre given their size. Could try bifurcating the tank to give then their own space/side but not like I have an 18' X24" tank divider laying around so I'd have to improvise something.

Anyway, just wanted to share that even though I'm sure everyone's pretty busy getting ready for the show.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
So how do you strip such large fish?

They're 8" and 10" respectively - and what's to prevent them from just swallowing them?

Look at the vendors this weekend at ACA. I got a square pond plant container with a PVC square around it at the Catfish Convention that is large enough to hold the female until she spits the fry, you will need to regularly check with a flashlight to see if she has spit so she doesnt turn them into a meal but thats you best bet for a fish that large if you cant get her to spit. Maybe segregate them and then feed them and siphon fry off while the parents are feeding as another option. I looked but couldnt find a picture of the basket I have. I usually use it to allow adult females to recondition, or when I need to segregate a fish for similar reasons.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Good stuff!

Millions of years of evolution, brother (although mine swallowed their first spawn)

I've had best luck with isolating Geos / Gymnogeos / other mouthbrooding new worlds and letting them hold to term / spit on their own.

Matt

They're 8" and 10" respectively - and what's to prevent them from just swallowing them?

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I always had to let them spit on their own because I couldn't catch them without stripping the tank. I waited until they let them out and scooped them out with a net.

My question is whether or not you have seen the male holding them at all. Altfrons are supposed to be maternal only and I swear my male used to hold them for awhile so the female could eat. Maybe I was seeing things that weren't there but it looked like he was spitting them back to her later.

George

dogofwar

CCA Members
You're not seeing things, George :)

I've seen Red Humps and Gymnogeos (among others) take turns with the eggs, wigglers. The male altifrons also seemed to be holding for a bit.

I had a male red hump who picked up stray eggs during the spawning dance...the female would miss one and he'd just grab it...

Matt

I always had to let them spit on their own because I couldn't catch them without stripping the tank. I waited until they let them out and scooped them out with a net.

My question is whether or not you have seen the male holding them at all. Altfrons are supposed to be maternal only and I swear my male used to hold them for awhile so the female could eat. Maybe I was seeing things that weren't there but it looked like he was spitting them back to her later.

George

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Assuming the emale is the larger one...

...with the diminutive black spot, he' seems to be doing most of the 'incubation', but yesterday they were both holding at the same time. Fry are pretty big already - pretty funny to see my big 'water dogs' wake up and get territorial though I have to say they they're pretty gentle enforcers, almost as if they realize that their bulk is enough of a threat to keep their space clear since they're's no biting, just mock charges.