• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Don't you hate it when fish disappear?

Becca

Members
While almost all of my fish made the initial move, I've noticed some disappearances in the past week or two.

Gone missing:
Male Dario hysignon
2 Eques Pencilfish
4 Amano Shrimp (I've seen molts, just not the dang shrimp).
1 Valliant's chocolate gourami (one stressed and died shortly after the move, the other male was in the tank eating grindal worms on Saturday but nowhere to be found on Sunday - why is it always the rare/expensive ones?).
A dozen or so cherry shrimp (if they'd all died, the tank would've crashed, and I see molts, but again, where the heck are the shrimp?)

It's one thing to find a body, but I hate when they disappear - it takes everything in my power not to go taking the tank apart looking for them.

Note - these are all in different tanks - not one tank.

chriscoli

Administrator
I know what you mean.....to search or not to search. I've had fish that went missing ages before show up in perfectly good health. Sometimes, I just have to shrug and call them Houdini. The more you search, the more you can't find them!

I have a rapheal cat that disappears all the time. I thought he was long gone. The other day I took my wood out to cut a piece off. Took a circular saw to it, set it down moved things around put it back. As I returned the wood to the water I saw him dart out to find a new crevice to disappear into.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
I have a rapheal cat that disappears all the time. I thought he was long gone. The other day I took my wood out to cut a piece off. Took a circular saw to it, set it down moved things around put it back. As I returned the wood to the water I saw him dart out to find a new crevice to disappear into.

So much better than where I thought that story was going... eeek.

Raphael cats are another story, though, they are meant to disappear.

chriscoli

Administrator

Yeah, I was afraid of where that was going, too.

Fortunately, no harm to the Raphael!

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Yeah it nuts how in such a relatively small space you can loose fish.
IMHO
They became nocturnal
Or
Shrimp= ninja
Gourami is depressed and hiding
Pencil fish went on a couples retreat and the other guys probably in plain sight.

Hope they're ok and you find them always sucks to loose fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

He may be traumatized! I can only imagine what it was like when the saw ripped through the wood. I'm going to have to do a better job looking for hitch hikers when removing decor

Jmty

Members
bermuda triangle , still looking for some fish????,had removed every thing in tank and ???

JLW

CCA Members
I'm more alarmed when fish appear.

I have a small ctenepoma -- I think -- of some sort in my personal 92-gallon.

Ask me when I bought it.

Absolutely no clue where this fish came from.

F8LBITE

Members
For the longest time I thought my fish were dying and getting eaten or sucked into the filter, turns out they were jumping out the back even though I thought it was completely covered. Didn't find out until I broke the tank down and found them on the floor behind the tank.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
For the longest time I thought my fish were dying and getting eaten or sucked into the filter, turns out they were jumping out the back even though I thought it was completely covered. Didn't find out until I broke the tank down and found them on the floor behind the tank.

Tough thing to find.

Becca any luck?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
I remember coming back from vacation when I was a kid to discover that my Pink Tail Chalceus had "disappeared"...no sign of it. The body of a rotting 10" tetra shouldn't be that hard to find!

We found it a month or so later about 20' away dried under the couch on the other side of the room...

Matt

Becca

Members
Found a cory sterbai in my sons diaper bag once. haha

Now that is one place I HAVEN'T checked. I have trouble believing fish could get out of my tanks, and I certainly haven't seen any on the floor, but I guess I'll keep looking.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Are there plecos in any of the tanks with missing fish? I've found that many of my plecos, especially the omnivorous ones, will make short work of a corpse if left to their own accord.

chriscoli

Administrator
Are there plecos in any of the tanks with missing fish? I've found that many of my plecos, especially the omnivorous ones, will make short work of a corpse if left to their own accord.

Yep, good point....they're the clean-up crew. I usually only find hints of corpses in the tanks with plecos.

Ballen0351

Members
I remember coming back from vacation when I was a kid to discover that my Pink Tail Chalceus had "disappeared"...no sign of it. The body of a rotting 10" tetra shouldn't be that hard to find!

We found it a month or so later about 20' away dried under the couch on the other side of the room...

Matt

Wow that's crazy.