• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB Marbled Crayfish

gtavc1990

Members
I am looking for a marbled crayfish for my 20g tank. Someone had them on Craigslist but never replied back to my emails :angry:

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
I don't think Marmokrebs are legal in either state.

I've checked with Maryland DNR and have been informed that they are not an illegal species here contrary to popular belief.

Sent from my VS980 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JLW

CCA Members
Samantha,

Welcome to the weird world of state laws. The Marmokreb is the same as the Marbled Crayfish, but the geniuses that our tax dollars pay don't know that, and the law only prohibits "Marbled Crayfish". This is actually apparently how a lot of "lobsters" continue to be sold in Virginia. No one has told the enforcement people that there is no such thing as a freshwater lobster, and that those are illegal....

Plus, the DNR has tonnes of little laws that many officers aren't aware of -- remember, their primary job is to make sure that the bass you caught is over the limit.

We like to think that they're knowledgeable, know the laws, etc., etc., but ... well, I remember collecting a bunch of Dwarf Sunfish (Enneacanthus obesus), and being "caught" by a DNR officer, who informed me that they were undersize, and it was illegal to collect crappie that small. . . . Uhm, dude, they don't even really look like cra-- You want me to write you a ticket?

Personally, I support bans on the Marmokreb -- though I think a lot of the crayfish legislature is far overreaching. They can survive in our waters, they can survive our temperatures, they're nasty little buggers, they can spread diseases... and you only need one to start a breeding population.

verbal

CCA Members
Personally, I support bans on the Marmokreb -- though I think a lot of the crayfish legislature is far overreaching. They can survive in our waters, they can survive our temperatures, they're nasty little buggers, they can spread diseases... and you only need one to start a breeding population.

I agree on both points. I think the blanket crayfish bans(like Virginia) are overreaching - especially for the captive-bred forms. Even an escaped white crawfish is going to make a snack for some wild animal long before it has a chance to breed.

Due to their hardiness and lack of need for a partner I think Marmorkrebs are an especially risky animal, so a restriction makes sense.

blkmjk

Members
Wouldn't be much of a bust if someone like myself was humanely destroying them by means of consumption! My fish are hungry for invertebrates with claws!