• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Protomelas sp. Steveni Taiwan Reef Breeding Albino w/ Non Albino

Malawimania

Members
So... I have a stunning male non-albino I picked up from Dave G a couple years back. Last year I bought a young group of Albino Taiwan Reef from Jay. It looks like after they have matured they all appear to be females.

Would I be able to breed my male non albino with my albino females?

I'm pretty sure the first group of fry I would get would all be non-albino, but if I line breed the fry I would be able to get albino. I'm not a 100% on this though. Does anyone know for sure?

-Steve

olzkool

Members
If you breed the albino to the non albino the first offspring will be 100% het for albino. They will all be normal colored (making the assumption your normal is not actually a het). If you breed those hets back to the albino you will get albinos. Approximately half will be albino and half will be 100% het for albino and normal colored. I would just find another male Albino from a different group and breed him with your females. That way you don't have to wait so long and the offspring will be all albino. I think HOT had a few the last time I was there.