• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New pickup: Hemichromis sp. Guinea 2

chriscoli

Administrator
I got a group of these from Josh this last go-around of pre-orders. I'm SUPER excited about them. I mean, a BRONZE-COLORED JEWEL?? Too awesome! :lol: They're still settling in, but are starting to posture and display at each other after a waterchange this evening.

hemichromis guinea II-1285.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
Well, I'm not holding my breath on a spawn anytime soon. These dudes require patience. They need to mature a bit before they'll spawn, I think. They get fairly big for a Jewel, too.

It was pretty funny this evening, though, I saw one looking intently at something going on inside a cichlid stone in the tank with them. Seconds later, four of them all came rushing out one after the other from within the cave. I didn't think four of them would even fit in there! It was like a Hemichromis clown car.

dogofwar

CCA Members
One of my absolute favorite fish. They only get prettier with age!

I think only Jeff Michel and a couple of others have successfully bred them.

Matt

chriscoli

Administrator
Matt, in your experience, is there any factor that seems to be above others as key to keeping these guys happy? pH, water hardness, temp?

I mean, yeah....clean water is a given, but I notice that doing a cool waterchange really made them really active the other day and they started displaying to each other minutes afterward. Of course, I also added some RO so maybe that was what triggered it instead.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think that RO or soft water is a trigger. Both times that I kept them, they lived for a long time, grew big (like 6-7"!) and did lots of spawning activities including cleaning rocks and pots... just never spawned. I didn't have or use RO water, which is probably what they needed.

Also, as you can tell, they're really shy fish. They'll also beat the crap out of each other...and eat other smaller fish.

Here's what I'd do if I had to try them again:

- Set the group up in a 4' tank (75g if you can spare it) with subdued lighting, calm-ish water movement and lots of hiding spots (driftwood, some pots and some leafy plants)
- Let the water get full of tannin and do regular say 30% water changes weekly with attention to cleaning the substrate. A big water change before a storm is when mine would go through the motions.
- Watch overfeeding them. They're really messy and picky eaters (they dart out and grab food and leave pieces everywhere). Maybe get some giant danios or decent-sized barbs to eat excess / missed food. Mine killed rainbowfish, small danios and livebearers (goodied and mollies), so they need something tough and fast.

I kept them in a species tank and also in a 6' 150g with medium new worlds. The 150g was too active for them. They came closest to spawning in the species tank.

They seem to establish pretty strong pair bonds and are supposed to spawn on plant leaves. Mine hung out in an overturned flower pot (with a crack for a door).

Really look forward to seeing yours progress as they grow!

Matt

chriscoli

Administrator
Good stuff Matt, thanks for the advice. They're in a 40B right now with a bunch of cichlid stones and a ton of driftwood. There's a pair of Rio Danli convicts in there, but they seem fairly matched aggression-wise. I had issues with this pair of cons being too shy to be in with some of the other fish which is how they ended up in there. I don't envision that this arrangement will work for long, though.....my ultimate plan was to keep the Hemichromis in a species only setup. And yes, they are uber shy and picky/darty feeders.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I tried growing the first batch of mine out with Paratilapia polleni (mine were about 2" when I got them, the polleni smaller). I worked for awhile and then the polleni started getting pounded. The Rio Danli's should be OK until they breed...and then I'd worry about the Hemichromis :) Rainbow cichlids could also fit well.

They'll settle down eventually. The big male of my first pair would actually beg for food!

Matt
Good stuff Matt, thanks for the advice. They're in a 40B right now with a bunch of cichlid stones and a ton of driftwood. There's a pair of Rio Danli convicts in there, but they seem fairly matched aggression-wise. I had issues with this pair of cons being too shy to be in with some of the other fish which is how they ended up in there. I don't envision that this arrangement will work for long, though.....my ultimate plan was to keep the Hemichromis in a species only setup. And yes, they are uber shy and picky/darty feeders.

chriscoli

Administrator
I agree, it totally does. I was looking at my favorite fish the other day and realized I had crossed well into the Matt realm of fish.