• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Collecting trip suggestions

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Hey guys
At the bowl show a PVAS member (his name is Jeff but I dont know his username) was talking to me about collecting trips and he said he'll be taking one in january and that if multiple people go it cuts down on cost and that it's great. I really want to go and I want to basically know good places to go, overall price estimate, good websites to book with, tips, and stuff I should bring and that sort of thing. Basically, everything I need to know before I book a trip. I want to go somewere where I can collect live bearers, plecos (preferabely ancistrus), small cichlids, large cichlids, cool odd balls, and maybe some small rays. He told me equitos peru and uruguay where some of the best places and he said on his last collecting trip they caught some rays.
Also, if anyone knows which PVAS member Im talking about please tell me so i can work out details and things like that with him. He has brown and grey hair and a small beard. He was working the auction and he was wearing a white shirt today at the bowl show.
Thanks guys

spazmattik

Members
Save up for a trip to uruguay with Ken Davis. This is what I want to do but I don't think any of the cichlids I keep are there. It would still be fun though. He posts up invites on mfk so I'm sure you have seen it. His trips are 1,500 to 2,000 I think depending on how many people go. He goes in November and March I think. Would be cool if a group of people from the club could all go down together.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
That would be cool
the only problem is since my dad is the headmaster of a school, I'd have to take the trip during vacation so unless Im on vacation for the time that any of those trips go on I wont be able to go.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Well talked it over with my parents and they both said they'd let me go. I'll probably go around early august.
Im so excited!

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
If anyone else wants to join me and my dad I'd be happy to do a group trip. I think there's a group discount so its a win win.

You have to realize that seasons are opposite in South America and the winter/wet season generally runs from April to October. During the wet season you can't catch many fish as they are spread out in the flooded forest and swamps.

Collecting trips are generally done in the dry season as the fish are concentrated into smaller streams and pools.

Also the $1500-$2000 only covers the cost of transportation and lodging in-country. It does not cover the airfare and other transportation costs. If you want to bring the fish back with you there will also be the need to get an importation permit or find someone to import the fish for you. Don't forget the air freight to bring the fish back will be expensive too.

A realistic number is about $4500-$5000 for a week long trip.

Andy

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Talk to MAB when he gets back or PM DogofWar or Tony. Those are the only people I know of that have gone on international collecting trips.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
You have to realize that seasons are opposite in South America and the winter/wet season generally runs from April to October. During the wet season you can't catch many fish as they are spread out in the flooded forest and swamps.

Collecting trips are generally done in the dry season as the fish are concentrated into smaller streams and pools.

Also the $1500-$2000 only covers the cost of transportation and lodging in-country. It does not cover the airfare and other transportation costs. If you want to bring the fish back with you there will also be the need to get an importation permit or find someone to import the fish for you. Don't forget the air freight to bring the fish back will be expensive too.

A realistic number is about $4500-$5000 for a week long trip.

Andy
Thanks for the info, is it not worth it to go in the wet season? I'm almost 100% I cant go on any of the ones during the dry season and I dont want to waste money on it.
Talk to MAB when he gets back or PM DogofWar or Tony. Those are the only people I know of that have gone on international collecting trips.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
will do

mab

Members
You should plan on joining an organized tour. If I'm misreading that you plan to freelance a collecting trip in the Amazon my apologies.

MT Amazon Expeditions has two trips leaving in a couple weeks that will hit rivers in the current dry season--essentially all rivers that originate below the equator are in low water stage in late July thru September. Airfares are still cheap on COPA out of Dulles to Iquitos. Flights arrive Wednesday and Saturday - collecting trips are Sunday through Friday - so one week away from work is all that is needed.

What you collect with MT Amazon Expeditions will be trans-shipped through Restazonia (my fish room) using either BWI or IAD as the port of entry so you can get your fish rather easily and not have freight forwarding costs.

BTW: I"ll have a table at AACC about collecting in the Amazon. Also, selling raffle tickets for a free trip with MT Amazon Expeditions.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
You should plan on joining an organized tour. If I'm misreading that you plan to freelance a collecting trip in the Amazon my apologies.

MT Amazon Expeditions has two trips leaving in a couple weeks that will hit rivers in the current dry season--essentially all rivers that originate below the equator are in low water stage in late July thru September. Airfares are still cheap on COPA out of Dulles to Iquitos. Flights arrive Wednesday and Saturday - collecting trips are Sunday through Friday - so one week away from work is all that is needed.

What you collect with MT Amazon Expeditions will be trans-shipped through Restazonia (my fish room) using either BWI or IAD as the port of entry so you can get your fish rather easily and not have freight forwarding costs.

BTW: I"ll have a table at AACC about collecting in the Amazon. Also, selling raffle tickets for a free trip with MT Amazon Expeditions.

I'm planning on going with margarita tours: http://amazon-ecotours.com/index.htm
I will defenitely MT amazon expiditions
I would like to take the trip this year but Im going on vacation for a little while so It'll have to be next year
thanks for the info

As mab said, Dry season varies from one part of the continent to another. You will want to check with the tour company as to what they recommend is the best time to go.

And if you can arrange fish to be shipped through someone else that would be a huge cost saver.

Andy

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Thanks
I recently discussed this with Jeff (jeff greenspan) and he said I need a permit but it would be much cheaper to borrow his or someone elses. How does that work? Do I need any paper work filled out and how much is it to borrow vs get one for myself? Thanks

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Dan,

Just remember that Uruguay and Peru are very different places, different climates with different style of trips (van vs boat) and very different fish. sam could be said about other less-common collecting spots.

One is not better than the other, they are just different. Did you catch either mine or Matt's talks in the last 6 months? He did Uruguay and I did Peru. I'd start there to see which you'd rather go to and go from there.

I'll get with you and Matt at the BBQ and we'll chat.

Cheers bud,
Tony