• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Fry food

verbal

CCA Members
I use mostly decapsulated brine shrimp for African cichlids.

Although BN plecos get the same as adults.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
My baby cons get smashed adult pellets...I've notice the parents chew up food and spit it out so the fry can eat it. That's just my experience.
Not to hijack but cant you decapsulate brine shrimp at home? Bc occasionally i find really good sale on regular eggs + I have a few grams of eggs

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Nls thera A pulverizes quite nicely almost creates a cloud when you put it in the tank my africans love it and I assume even the smallest of fry can eat it. The grow formula has more protein which is good but it doesn't pulverize that well at all.....atleast by hand.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I also have frozen daphnia and kill. I tried feed the cons it but it brakes up to much that they won't eat it. Will that also work for them as an addition to the NLS fry starter formula.

chriscoli

Administrator
I use a little of everything plus live food like microworms.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
As promised here's what I found from the guys over at simply discus
I just copied and pasted
Author
Len_S
Decapsulating Brine Shrimp Eggs
The items you will need to decapsulate brine shrimp eggs are:

bleach (Chlorox/Javex or whatever non-scented bleach you have)
vinegar (to neutralize the bleach later)
Plastic coffee filter
A regular cereal bowl
2L soda bottle or whater you hatch normal bbs with already (with air line amd pump)
brine shrimp eggs
Table salt

Deacpsulating the eggs
Fill a brine shrimp hatchery with about one litre of tap water and add the amount of shrimp eggs you want to decapsulate. I use a few table spoons but you can use more or less depending on your needs. Next add your air line and let the eggs churn for about 15 mins just as you would if you were hatching them minus the salt. This is just to rehydrate the eggs. pour in a cup or so of bleach and let it keep going watching the colour. The colour will turn first an ashy grey, then will turn orange. Once the eggs are mostly orange turn off the air and pour the solution through the plastic coffee filter to strain them. Give them a decent rinse under running water, and then place the coffe filter with eggs in it in your cereal bowl. Pour vinegar on the eggs until they are covered and let them soak for a few minutes stirring them around with your finger. take the coffee filter out of the bowl and discard the vinegar. Run the filter and eggs under running water again rinsing away all of the vinegar and that's it -- They are decapsulated

Storing the eggs

You will need to store the eggs in the refridgerator in a saturated salt water solution to keep them dehydtared. To do this just add enough ordinary table salt to water until no more salt will dissolve. It doesn't matter if you end up with some salt sitting on the bottom.

Hatching the eggs

To hatch the decapsulated eggs as you need them, just rinse the salt water from them using the plastic coffee filter and hatch them as you would normal eggs. I use about 2 Tablespoons of odinary table salt per 1L water and about 1/2 teaspoon of eggs. It will take them 12 -16 hours hatch, and then you can feed them as per normal. There will be no shells to worry about so you can just pour them through the strainer, rinse and then give them to your fish. Any unhatched eggs can also be eaten.

As a side note, decapsulated eggs can be fed to the fish without hatching them first if your fish will eat them.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

atmagoulick

Members
Has anyone used hikari first bites? What do u feed your fry? (cons in my case)

I use beef heart flakes. It is going well. I tried to hatch brine shrimp, but it smelled. Then, I tried microworms. They smelled worst. Now, I am raising white worms. It is easy and it does not smell yet. I suggest feeding fry; beef heart flakes and white worms.

thedavidzoo

Members
My fry eat tons of microworms initially. Then I add Golden Pearls and decaps. BBS, then NLS Grow pellets. Occasionally, I'll throw in frozen daphnia or crushed flake or crushed freeze-dried mysis shrimp.
My microworms don't really smell bad at all. If I let them go on for ages or they dry out they get funky.

Thanks for all the help i picked up the first bites and ordered decap eggs, NLS fry starter and micro worms. I will use the NLS fry starter when they get little bigger as its .6mm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I used brine shrimp, a lot of brine shrimp, feed from one container and hatch in 4 x 2 liter hatchers.

I tried decap my on BBS but not sure what I did but it was bad. So much for that 1/2 lb.