• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Any Experience With Pundamilia Nyererei python Island?

SF_Beast

Members
I recently picked up 5 Pundamilia Nyererei "Python Island" from a friend of mine. The are all about one inch right now. While I lived in Germany I kept thre of these. 2 males and one female. As you can imagine, the three quickly turned into 1 male.

My question is this. Out of the five, two of them are really starting to color up. I assume that they are males. Two of them still look like juviniles with little color. I’m pretty sure that they are dimorphic fish, so at what point will I be able to really sex the fish? It seems that these guys are pretty hard to come by, so I’d like to try and breed them assuming that I have a desired group. How would I go about doing this? I’ve heard that 1m/3f is a pretty good start.

Is it better to leave them in my 180g with mixed Mbuna to help spread the aggresion, or move the desired group to another tank with no other fish. Not sure what I will do with the other male/males though. I know these guys get pretty nasty.

Thanks for any advice…

-Smitty

DeeCee

Members
I personally don't know anything about the Python Island ones, but we have a group of Ruti Islands that
have bred & are doing great with no casualties. Sorry, I don't know enough about them and how they differ
from the Python Island ones!

DC

SF_Beast

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeeCee @ Mar 28 2008, 06:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I personally don't know anything about the Python Island ones, but we have a group of Ruti Islands that
have bred & are doing great with no casualties. Sorry, I don't know enough about them and how they differ
from the Python Island ones!

DC[/b]

I'd like to start breeding this group, and others in genral. Do you keep the Ruti Islands in the same tank with other fish, or do you keep them in a tank of there own. The only experience I have with breeding are some Rustys that I had a while back. I didn't even know that the female was holding till she spit the fry, and all her tank mates had a quick snack, before I could get them out. :eek: . How do you know when the fish is ready to spit, or should you strip the fry? Any suggestions would help. I have 1 female Red Top Zebra holding now. I just set up a 10g breeder tank, but don't think the water will be close to cycled before the fry are out.

Any help or advice in genral would be great.

-Smitty

maddog10

Members
Whenever I have a holding female (and want to keep the fry), I move her to another holding tank. I mostly put them in 2 1/2 gallon tanks of their own until they spit the fry. Some people strip the fry. Just personal preference.

DeeCee

Members
Ron likes to have the females hold for a couple weeks before pulling them. I'm too impatient & normally get the female into her own tank during the first week :) Smallest we have are 10's, so the females go in those with a rock or tube to hide in.

The Ruti Islands are in a small group & share their tank with a small group of labidochromis palidus yellow top.
My avatar is the Ruti Island male when he's ready to rock.......

DC