• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

This Is a REALLY bad day

chriscoli

Administrator
Very very sad.

Similarly, it's also a good idea to make sure you label things every time you make a solution of something, even if it's just salt.

When I get in a rush or focused on a project, I'll often forget to label containers, thinking to myself, "I'll remember what it is". My husband (with his chemistry and culinary backgrounds) is very sensitive to containers of unlabeled, mystery stuff in the house. So it's good...he keeps me on track and (mostly) labeling my stuff when I mix up a solution of something.

So, label your stuff every time it comes out of the original container into another. If you mix up a solution of something (i.e. levamisole) put the final concentration on the bottle, too. Personally, I also often write on the bottle how I made it (mostly for me so I can make it again). If I buy something in bulk, I spend the extra little bit to also get a small container of it (for example, Safe, Excel, Melafix...) so that I can aliquot my working stock into a properly labeled container and just refill that from the big bottle every time it runs out. This way everyone in the house knows exactly what's in a container. always.

lkelly

Members
I would think that legal action (either by the aquarium or their insurer) against the company that distributed the mislabeled chemical is coming. It's a good thing that only fish were harmed. If an employee had suffered injury or even worse, then the claim gets really serious.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I would think that legal action (either by the aquarium or their insurer) against the company that distributed the mislabeled chemical is coming. It's a good thing that only fish were harmed. If an employee had suffered injury or even worse, then the claim gets really serious.

That's true but on the principle of not selling properly labeled charms is a huge NO.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
It'll be interesting to see how it pans out regarding recourse. While they lost a huge number of fish, most of them were donated, or acquired from other institutions, so its hard to associate a 'cost' of the animal, especially since most replacements are going to be donations too. Every animal has a 'value' though, so I'm curious how insurance or legal claims would view that.

A lot of labor will be spent on removing the animals from exhibit and cleaning the system to get it ready for animals again, hopefully they're at least compensated for the time/effort to get that done.

They mentioned new animals have already been received, so luckily they should be back in action soon. Its nice to hear about the support from donors and organizations trying to help them get back on their feet. Most public aquariums are non-profit institutions, so even the loss of revenue from ticket sales could be damaging. I'm curious to see the response from the company that provided the mislabeled container.

Tangcollector

Staff member
I would imagine that the loss of revenue compiled with the labor involved would be substantial. I would also imagine you would want to resolve the matter with as little publicity as possible.