• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Paratheraps

Daltharang

Members
So i got what was sold as a synspilum a couple months back now, but it appeared to me and several others on the site here to be a bifasciatus instead. Recently her colors have been getting really good and she has started laying eggs like crazy. Only issue is after the first time she laid eggs she became pretty aggressive with the oscar and severum in the tank with her and started descaling them and ripping up their fins. I was forced to move those 2 to a different tank. Now in my 150g resides just her, 9 silver dollars, and a convict that she seems to pay no attention to. I am venturing into the idea of getting a male to try and pair with her. I was also thinking maybe a Paratheraps tank but everything i read says that they are very conspecific aggressive. Then i also see lots of posts on forums from people with paratheraps only tanks, including Rich_One on the site here lol.

Now for my question, is my tank just too small for a paratheraps only tank, and if not essentially how many could i possibly fit in there comfortably? Or if i go the route of trying to find her a mate, Is a Bifasciatus something i could essentially find homes for the fry or is it one of the ones that are too common to get rid of. Also along those lines the only other free tank i have right now is a 30 gallon with a large sponge filter, is this big enough to raise the fry in until they are ready to be rehomed.

blkmjk

Members
A bifa pair would definitely work in a 150 gallon tank. For life I wouldn't reccomend extra tankmates other than dithers. Mostly because I've personally seen bifas get over 15" that's a big fish in a 18" wide tank. In the short term 2 years or less it should work fine. You could add additional paratheraps but be aware nothing is a sure thing and while these guys aren't as crazy as Parachromis they definitely are not puppy dogs. And as a whole my CA tank was the most aggressive tank I've ever kept. And it only lasted about a year.

30 gallons is plenty to raise up some fry in.

Drew

tparker

Members
I have kept and still do keep large (12+") paratheraps in my 210gal tank without hardly any problems for years. But the key is that you would have to raise them together. And not attempt to introduce other large adult cichlids. With the exception of a few (blackbelts, hartwegi), I dont find most paratheraps as aggressive as others like (parachromis, amphilophus, caquetia, crenichcihla), etc.
Regarding bifas IMO, like most paratheraps are very plain until they reach early adulthood. Then its like a light is turned on and they are stunning. That coupled with their eventual size may be the reason that they arent seemingly as popular in this area. Coupled with the fact that they arent "Glass bangers". Thats just my opinion.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1429182444915.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1429182549488.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1429182575784.jpg

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I can't wait until my bifacs start looking like your guy, Terrell!

Absolutely gorgeous.

tparker

Members
Thanks Tony. Though rhese pics are of my synspillum. 1st pic is my male breidohri.

blkmjk

Members
Terrell has the best paratheraps setup I've ever seen for sure. His community tank is a sight to behold.

Drew

Daltharang

Members
Wow thanks for all the info, and those fish are gorgeous. Paratheraps has quickly become my favorite fish by far. Any of them lol. Since my female is now pushing 7 inches not counting the tail though it sounds as if i don't have a lot of options of adding anything with her since i can't possibly let them grow together at this point. So maybe attempting to get a male for her is the best option and let them just own the 150g. The group of 8 Silver dollars def add a ton of movement to the tank as well. Maybe ill just try to find her a male and add a nice pleco of some sort.

This is mine, pic is from a couple months ago when i first got her. she has prob put on 2 inches, her fins have gone a bright spangled red and a lot of blue and orange has covered her body. Ill attempt to get and updated pic tomorrow.She has now laid eggs twice now.
0QJcn0J.jpg

Daltharang

Members
Was thinking about this more today. Really if the only thing that will work is to have a male in there for her to spawn with, since she is already past the limit of growing with others. The spawn may just end up as feeders for the oscar unless i just grow one out for myself. Probably shouldn't really distribute since i am unsure if she is a hybrid of some sort or not. I bought her from a store in richmond and she was labeled as a P. Syns because she was turned in as such. I could tell it was unsure though, and the fact she looked like a P. Bifa to me, and i had never seen one live just by internet research.

tparker

Members
Would tend to agree that she looks more like a hybrid of some sort than either a synspilum or bifa. If you are interested I can get you either. I have two offsprings from my large male that I kept for myself. Approx 6 & 8".8

uploadfromtaptalk1429363496106.jpg

tparker

Members
This is my male bifa. The following are my synspilum offspring and dad & mom.

uploadfromtaptalk1429363591298.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1429363632890.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1429363656155.jpg

Daltharang

Members
Wow! That would be Amazing! Do you have any that you can tell they are male yet? Thats what i was hoping i was getting when i bought her, but he turned to a shee when i saw the spawn lol. How much would you be looking for, for 1?

Daltharang

Members
Here is a couple of updated pics of the female i have. Sorry for the bad pics, camera not the greatest. One is with the flash and one without.

4BTs4Wc.jpg

ykuKr6B.jpg