• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

MOVING ADVICE

1badmarine

Okay, so The wife and I are moving to Vancouver, WA in September. The plan is to take about 1 week to get there. She wants to stop and see some of the national parks. What I need suggestions about is, how to transport the fish I plan to keep. Here's a list of what I'm keeping:

14" RTC x LSN
14" L-095 pleco
(3) 10"-13" Fl Gar
9" Red Devil
9" Bullhead Cat
7" Hogaboomorum
6" RTM
4" RTM
(6) 4" Umbees
Pair of 2.5" Geophagus
3" peacock bass

My plan was to put them in water tight bins, with battery operated pumps, but I'm trying to see if anyone has suggestions on something that requires less moving parts???

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

It's not worth it to move fish that far away. It's better to sell them off and start all over at the new place. To move fish safely from one place to the other, you need to have the tanks ready at the new place to receive the fish right away. In my last move, I couldn't set up the tanks fast enough to receive the fish and lost 90% of them in the holding tanks. I regret for not selling them, or giving them away, before the move.

gtavc1990

Members
It's not worth it to move fish that far away. It's better to sell them off and start all over at the new place. To move fish safely from one place to the other, you need to have the tanks ready at the new place to receive the fish right away. In my last move, I couldn't set up the tanks fast enough to receive the fish and lost 90% of them in the holding tanks. I regret for not selling them, or giving them away, before the move.

Yikes that was even with a sponge filter in the holding bin??

verbal

CCA Members
I would definitely recommend selling or giving away the bigger stuff. Even if it works out I don't see a week long drive with a lot of large fish being any fun.

For the smaller guys - I would try to find someone to hold them for a few weeks and ship them when you are ready for them in the new place.

JLW

CCA Members
If you were going straight there, it'd be feasible, but ... I strongly second the give them or sell them votes. In theory, if you regularly (2-3 times daily) change the water, keep bubblers going, and keep a few chunks of poly filter in each tub, you could arrive with some survivors, but you're going to kick yourself for every single one that doesn't make it.

The bigger concern is that this isn't just a straight drive. You're going to stop and check out some things. The car is going to get hot just sitting for hours.

kevin911

Members
I would be interested in gar and l14 just incase you decide to move them

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jt731

Members
i wouldn't ever do this with your livestock and stopping.
DC inverter with a canister filter/filters and an air pump(heaters in winter)
Depending on space actual tanks instead of buckets
Don't forget some buckets of substrate for making the other end easier to cycle

lkelly

Members
Not to mention all that whining from the back seat.

"Are we there yet?"
"Do we have anything to eat?"
"I just pooped."