• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Scuds?

chriscoli

Administrator
I have a culture but haven't put in enough time into really making them productive. I've got several fish I think would really benefit from hunting something a little larger than daphnia.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
If you use a plankton net in the Potomac River, you should catch tons of them in the shallow water.

Also, someone was selling them but it may have been on the PVAS forum.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
It seems likely that since there are scuds in the Potomac that they would be in the streams tat feed the Potomac. I have no first hand knowledge of them in the streams, just in the river. I have use a plankton net and got a lot of daphnia out of streams that are fed from swamps, particularly the Mattawoman creek.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
Do you have to treat them for parasites if you harvest them from mattawoman creek?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
We have a lot of lical streams I've been meaning to explore. Guess it's time to get a fishing license.

What (if anything) do you use to treat for parasites?

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
Nope, but I also can't prove that's all I was doing if anyone asks why I'm in a creek with a net.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Sonny Disposition

I just bought some of the Hyalella Azteca at The Big Fish Deal. I put them in a 20 with some Java moss in it and haven't seen them since. The seller told me they're likely hiding in the moss. I haven't wanted to disturb them, so I haven't reached in the tank and shaken the moss around to see if they fall out.

Regarding Potomac scuds, I think your chances of success would be to go to fairly slow stretches of the river where there isn't a lot of flow, and drag the shoreline vegetation with a fine net. Several years ago, Eugen found some one collecting trip we went on with Rob Peterson and Jen Williams. I brought a few home, but they didn't do well in a windowsill tank.