• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Dirted aquarium growth

AquaStudent

Members
I never had that problem, maybe you didn't cap your dirt very well. When capping dirt you start at the sides and work your way to the middle.

It was more of an issue when transporting the tank or moving plants. A little bit caused a huge mess
That'd be interesting Becca. Only one way to find out!

Becca

Members
It was more of an issue when transporting the tank or moving plants. A little bit caused a huge mess
That'd be interesting Becca. Only one way to find out!

Once I reseal the metaframe I can always test it out on that. I got the tools and some spray that helps loosen silicone. I guess I'll start trying to remove the old stuff soon.

AquaStudent

Members
O ok, I can see how that could be annoying.

It was horrible. The plants grew great in it but it was not the best option for my situation.

Also, it may be a good idea to go with a darker substrate to help hide any patches that may creep up over time (or as plants get removed).

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
I actually called the walstad method. Popularized by Diana Walstad. The soil is usually good for growth for about a year then you may have to switch to traditional fertilization methods. Also if you use driftwood or ornaments that take up a large surface area put it in first so it doesn't smother the substrate and cause pockets of deadly anaerobic gas. I have done as a few my self the last was a 5 gallon hex with a nice dwarf hair grass lawn. But the amano shrimp I had started uprooting plants looking for food.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ErnieG

Members
The life of the dirt does drop over time but not in a year of being setup, that statement is not true. My buddy has a dirted tank going for 3 years and he still gets excellent growth.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
The life of the dirt does drop over time but not in a year of being setup, that statement is not true. My buddy has a dirted tank going for 3 years and he still gets excellent growth.

I think if you have a good balance the fish east actually might help amend or return nutrients to the soil. As for root space I think it will get tough as the plants compete for space.(that's why you prune)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app