• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Requesting Input from fellow CCA members

Fellow CCA members,
As many of you may know I am a retired member of greatest Blue Water Navy this world has ever seen. In my retired life I am also a member of the local Rolling Thunder MD-1 chapter which is Veteran Service Organization (VSO). We are currently supporting a new/under construction veteran temporary housing building in the southern Maryland (Waldorf) area. During the cleanup of the building they located 2 aquariums; a 55 gallon and 45 octagon which myself and fellow member Harley Rider have decided to setup and maintain for them.
So my first question is I am looking for some recommendations on low maintenance fish suggestions for these 2 tanks. If you look at my signature block you can tell my expertise is a little more than what I want to put in these tanks.
I would also like to ask if any members would be interested in donating any fish for this project. (I hope this does not violate any forum rules).
We are also looking for a couple of other items if anyone is interested in donating i.e. heaters, air pumps, gravel etc.
Thanks for all input on fish types for this project as well as any items that can be donated.
Again I hope I have not violated any rules of the forum.

dogofwar

CCA Members
This is awesome!

Violate forum rules?! Hardly.

This SHOULD BE the sort of thing that our club is all about!

I'd be happy to donate some fish but what I have to offer probably aren't a good fit for what's needed.

You can't go wrong with a couple big schools of barbs, danios, hardy tetras or rainbowfish... or a couple of groups of milder mbuna (say yellow labs and acei).

Happy to donate a couple of spare HOBs and/or canisters that I've got in the garage. I can bring to the June meeting or you can pick up between June 6 and 13...

Matt

Fellow CCA members,
As many of you may know I am a retired member of greatest Blue Water Navy this world has ever seen. In my retired life I am also a member of the local Rolling Thunder MD-1 chapter which is Veteran Service Organization (VSO). We are currently supporting a new/under construction veteran temporary housing building in the southern Maryland (Waldorf) area. During the cleanup of the building they located 2 aquariums; a 55 gallon and 45 octagon which myself and fellow member Harley Rider have decided to setup and maintain for them.
So my first question is I am looking for some recommendations on low maintenance fish suggestions for these 2 tanks. If you look at my signature block you can tell my expertise is a little more than what I want to put in these tanks.
I would also like to ask if any members would be interested in donating any fish for this project. (I hope this does not violate any forum rules).
We are also looking for a couple of other items if anyone is interested in donating i.e. heaters, air pumps, gravel etc.
Thanks for all input on fish types for this project as well as any items that can be donated.
Again I hope I have not violated any rules of the forum.

verbal

CCA Members
I think you really have 3 options for the tanks:

Typical community
Mild SA/CA
Mild Malawi

The dimensions of octagon tanks don't really lend themselves well to cichlids, so that probably has to be a typical community tank. Although with the height you could include an angel or two.

In both tanks I recommend a couple male BN plecos. They will greatly reduce the glass cleaning.

If you go with an mbuna tank, you probably want to include some synos for fry control. Breeding in the tank can quickly make it over-crowded.

Thanks for all input and items that are being offered up for donation. They do have a third tank, 29 gallon but it needs to be resealed so we have not taken it own at this time. We want to get the other 2 tanks up and running first.

spazmattik

Members

In both tanks I recommend a couple male BN plecos. They will greatly reduce the glass cleaning
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Just curious - why males? Are the more beneficial or just because of the bristles?

I have a bucket of gravel and some fake plants if you want to go that route.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Good stuff, Terrell. Like others, I don't have fish that would fit well in a low maintenance tank. I'll look around and see what kind of extra equipment I have.

As Matt said, no violation of rules at all. Quite the opposite.

Becca

Members
I will donate some white cloud mountain minnows, if you're interested. They don't require heat, are very hardy, and will reproduce readily.

Same goes for the blue pearl shrimp, so long as the room temp is kept decent, and for paradise fish.

The shrimp, I've got, the paradise fish, not so much, but they're attractive and easy to find.

verbal

CCA Members
Just curious - why males? Are the more beneficial or just because of the bristles?

I have a bucket of gravel and some fake plants if you want to go that route.

Males develop bristles at different ages/sizes. If you add 2 young females you may end up with a late developing male and a ton of babies. If they are fully adult-sized, then two females would be an option.

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
If you guys need help let me know. It literally down the road from my house. My wife and I would rather it the property be used for vets than it previous incarnation. Their were lots of shady characters hanging around.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rich_one

Members
Just seeing this... Wow, guys... this is awesome!

Terrell, you and Harleyrider can stop by my house sometime over the next week (I'll be away Friday and Saturday, but back sometime Sunday). I have a bin full of odds and ends you guys may be able to use. Rocks, air pumps, etc. You can take some stuff for this project, no problem! Just hit me up, bruh!

-Rich

kevin911

Members
I would love to donate to this cause, please list what you have thus far and what's still needed. Thank you!

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App