• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Paratilapia sp. ''Andapa''

Hannibal

Members
I was checking out Dave's list to see if there was anything that I wanted to pick up and came across these guys. Does anyone here keep them or have you ever kept them before? I have a 5ft 120 or so acrylic tank that will be getting setup soon and was thinking about picking 6 or so up. From what I have briefly read they are gentle giants and don't require a 500 gallon tank to thrive. I am going to continue to research them but figured I would check here to see if anyone would chime in on their experiences.

Thanks!

Chris

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Cool fish. I've never kept them but thought that they acted more like New World cichlids (get big, pair bond, substrate spawners). I'd guess that you'd end up with a pair after they hit sexual maturity, but maybe not be able to keep others in the tank.

Hannibal

Members
I've never kept them, but they sound like awesome fish, Chris and that tank may be good for them.

Found this thread on MFK. A few good posts on their mannerisms...

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?570095-Paratilapia-sp-Andapa
Thanks Tony, I read through this one earlier and it had some pretty good information in it. It's actually what led me to believe I could keep them in the tank. I still owe you the dimensions of the pre drilled holes in my tank...I haven't forgotten. ;)

Cool fish. I've never kept them but thought that they acted more like New World cichlids (get big, pair bond, substrate spawners). I'd guess that you'd end up with a pair after they hit sexual maturity, but maybe not be able to keep others in the tank.
From what I have read, they do get bigger and they do pair off. But it said that if you raise them up as a group they may bicker but are pretty tolerable of each other. Of course much like humans every fish is different when it comes to temperament.

Ohh man those sound awesome

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Exactly what I was thinking!!!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Thanks Tony, I read through this one earlier and it had some pretty good information in it. It's actually what led me to believe I could keep them in the tank. I still owe you the dimensions of the pre drilled holes in my tank...I haven't forgotten. ;)

Tis ok... I still owe you pics and dimensions on that sump. ;)

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've never kept this specific Paratilapia but have kept both "small spot" and "large spot" and have found them to be ROUGH on each other...especially the "big spot"

I've grown out a group of 5 or 6 a couple of times and ended up with a really nice male both times.

They're more like South Americans in behavior than Rift Lakes or CA's: could be bullied by Central Americans (other than say, gentle giants) or rift lake fish (torn to pieces).

They also get big.

Matt

Hannibal

Members
I've never kept this specific Paratilapia but have kept both "small spot" and "large spot" and have found them to be ROUGH on each other...especially the "big spot"

I've grown out a group of 5 or 6 a couple of times and ended up with a really nice male both times.

They're more like South Americans in behavior than Rift Lakes or CA's: could be bullied by Central Americans (other than say, gentle giants) or rift lake fish (torn to pieces).

They also get big.

Matt

Thanks Matt!

I will be prepared to move and/or separate as needed. Do you happen to remember how quickly they grow?

dogofwar

CCA Members
They're a fish that, from my experience, that grows more based on place in the pecking order vs. food or conditions.

I had a group of them in a 4' tank...the biggest one grew to 6-7" in under a year and many of them stayed small. I removed the big boy (he had killed a couple) and the next biggest one blew up.

Matt