• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Your method for beginning a male only tank

TeamPisces

CCA Members
Could you guys share how you establish an all male tank? Do you just buy groups of unsexed juveniles representing the species of interest, grow them out, and put the males in the intended tank? What do you do with all the females?

Or do you just buy as many males from various species at one time and stock the tank?

Acpape0

Members
Let you wallet be your guide.... The juvenile option is much cheaper but takes time to get the stock you want .... As for unwanted females , you won't be able to tell the different types apart so there is no resale value,

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TeamPisces

CCA Members
Let you wallet be your guide.... The juvenile option is much cheaper but takes time to get the stock you want .... As for unwanted females , you won't be able to tell the different types apart so there is no resale value,

Thanks for responding Adam. Looks like I might try find all the males I want at one time.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've never kept an all male Old World tank, but I would think that buying adults would be the fastest option (and probably the most expensive). If I were to grow out juveniles, I would keep the fish separate to avoid the confusion with females that Adam talks about. Depending on the fish, but I would think that there is a market for females with most species.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I've never kept an all male Old World tank, but I would think that buying adults would be the fastest option (and probably the most expensive). If I were to grow out juveniles, I would keep the fish separate to avoid the confusion with females that Adam talks about. Depending on the fish, but I would think that there is a market for females with most species.
Very true....I've kept them in grow outs then pick out the males. Takes a long long time but so worth it because you can choose the best males....first to show is not always the best pick also might have the worse temperament so you can pick and choose based on those factors.

I keep an all male Malawian haps and large CA tank to reduce aggression from pairing. But for smaller Tanganyikans and Crytoheros species, I keep both sex and don't mind some aggression as they will stand up against much bigger tankmates and can't do harm. I rarely buy full grown fish to pick out the males, and prefer to buy juvies and raise them. Raising fish together has better chance of harmony than throwing in adult fish as the pecking order is established early. I use my instinct to pick out a male from a group, or I raise a group to pick out the first male and trade or auction away of the remaining unsexed fish. Though not 100%, I have been guessing right most of the time.

TeamPisces

CCA Members

Thanks for responding Adam. Looks like I might try find all the males I want at one time.