• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Bio Wheel or Aquaclear

Harleyrider5

Members
Thats ok pat all my filters before I started changing over were the quiet flows. Now I keep them stored as back ups

Sent from my SCH-I200PP using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

There is nothing wrong with biowheels. It's working the way it was designed for, and it is used extensively in aquculture. But none of my Penquins have biowheel running, because I only use them for mechanical and don't need additonal biological. I prefer greater water movement in my tank than to use up the energy to drive the biowheels. Besides, there is maintenance issue with biowheels like splashing, slime built up, and stopping. I will use biowheels only if I keep messy fish in sterile bare glass tanks. Penquin is very effective in mechanical that my water is crystal clear within 10 min after feeding. But I have to change filter pads as frequently as twice a week, which is a positive, not a negative, because left over food and waste are removed as quickly as they are produced.

I don't care about the splashing noise on my Penguins, but what irritates me no end is the new impeller I have to buy every 18 months or so for the 350. I don't know what causes the wear on the impeller, but like clockwork, it starts running differently, causing vibration in the case, which is magnified out into the room. The 330, which is at least 10 years older, never does this (knock on wood).

I don't care about the splashing noise on my Penguins, but what irritates me no end is the new impeller I have to buy every 18 months or so for the 350. I don't know what causes the wear on the impeller, but like clockwork, it starts running differently, causing vibration in the case, which is magnified out into the room. The 330, which is at least 10 years older, never does this (knock on wood).

This is weird. Impeller of any HOB normally lasts 5 or more years before it gets worn out and make noise, unless it is defective or you get sand into it. Have you checked the bushing? A worn out bushing can make noise and you can damage the bushing by pushing too hard on the reattaching the impeller. I only have one 350 and a dozen older models and like the older model design better than the new 350.

I am all about the Aqueon's! But I am a little bit biased.

Cartridges are less expensive than Marineland's and they pump more water.

But Pat is right. The frames they fit are pretty specific except for the model 75 which can fit everything because of it's adjustable leveler.

Andy

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I am all about the Aqueon's! But I am a little bit biased.

Cartridges are less expensive than Marineland's and they pump more water.

But Pat is right. The frames they fit are pretty specific except for the model 75 which can fit everything because of it's adjustable leveler.

Andy

LOL... mention of an Aqueon product is like the Bat signal for Andy to drop in. ;)

How the heck are you, sir?

Making it to ACA in Massachusetts this year? I think we'll have a solid contingency up there.

My ears were burning.

Not going to make it to ACA. I have a family trip the week after and don't have the vacation time to use.

Probably only get to ACA's when they get to the midwest.

I take it everything is going well in CCA land?

Andy

Tangcollector

Staff member
Thanks for all the great feedback. I have a tendency to stick with what has worked for me in the past. I think I will get a bio wheel for my 29 and keep with the Aquaclears on the larger tanks.

Howie

Members
I'm a recent convert to ACs. Going to use an AC110 on my 120, in addition to my FX5. Added an AC 70 to my 50 long to back up my Top Fin 75 HOB--awesome. Jose was gracious enough to practically give me an AC50 for my 20--it works incredibly.

YSS

Members
Most of my old AC's have issues starting back up after I unplug the filter or power goes out. Very annoying.