• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor victoriae - Yellow Egyptian Mouthbrooders

dogofwar

CCA Members
Just produced the first spawn from these little guys from Egypt.

Males seem to top out at about 2-2.5" and females 1.5". The little female I stripped had about 18 babies and was only 1.25".

Got a couple at the ACA in Louisville this past summer and a couple more ladies from Josh / Batfish.

I'm going to grow out this first batch to have a big colony of them :)

Anyone else breeding these guys?

Anyone still have P. nicholsii?

Matt

Never heard of them? It is actually the first mouthbrooder kept in the hobby, long before discovery of African Rift Lake cichlids. It was mentioned in Innes Exotic Aquarium Fishes, the classic first book on aquarium fish.

Old 'new' fish

never heard of them. cool looking fish though. congrats on the spawn!
These are cool little guys-I kept them over 50 years ago-They use to be so common that they were literally a dime a dozen! They did go by the wayside when the colourful rift lake cichlids started coming in back then. I'm glad to see they're back!

JLW

CCA Members
The Egyptian (or Victorian) mouthbrooder is proof that fish can come and go in fads. They were among the first mouthbrooding cichlids kept by aquarists, and so much so that they were the ones that stuck with the name "Mouthbrooder." They've been around for ever. Then, the hobby shifted focus East, and the fish from the rivers and western African just kind of vanished. . . .

Now they're starting to make a come back. And they're a cool little fish.

They're dwarf cichlids, they're not particularly aggressive, they're very colourful, and they're super easy to breed.

spazmattik

Members
Cool. Thanks for the info. I might have to get a little colony of these guys at some point.

mini williamsi north lol

The Egypsian mouthbrooder was a sensation to early aquarists because of their breeding behavior. They are the generic stock of haplochromine fish that has speciated into thousands of species in Lake Victoria and Malawii.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Donating some fry that I'm growing out from these to the AquaMania Saturday Night Rare Fish Auction...

Matt

dogofwar

CCA Members
Other than having blue lips and being mouthbrooders, they're totally different.

These aren't from Rift Lakes, only get to ~2".

They're aggressive in their own way, especially males to males.

Matt

I have a breeding colony of them, but haven't pulled their fry out. They are in a tank with S. lucipinnus, so I suspect that the catfish are eating the fry. Maybe I need to set up a separate tank for them soon.

Arlene

Rasta Fish

Members
Lol
I got a male from josh this past summer he told me someone got the females lol
I wonder who?
Congratulations!!
I am going to get a group from josh soon