• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pre-washed Pool filter sand

Howie

Members
Does anybody have an experiences with pre-washed pool filter sand? Living in a highrise condo without a back yard has me dreading the thought of rinsing 100+ lbs of sand multiple times in my kitchen sink. Where do I buy pre washed sand? How much?

Thanks all!

Kareen

Members
Ace Hardwere has hth pool filter sand 50.bls for $12 if you have a tub put a bin in the tub and rins it out there. I did a 125g tank with sand the sand pretty clean but you'll still have to do a little rinsing

Howie

Members
Thanks for the offer, Jason. Chris Baker told me about the pre-washed stuff and so I'm inclined to see if I can go that route if possible. The bathtub method sounds like a viable option.

For a 120 that is 60" L x 18" D X 26" H, will 100 lbs be enough? I personally only like only 1-2" of substrate.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I don't think there is "pre-washed" pool filter sand, per se. All the PFS I have ever purchased is clean. I've not rinsed any of it and have it in most of my tanks.

If you are particularly worried, pickup a quick filter attachment for a power head and run that with a fine filter mesh before firing your filters back up.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I agree with Jon. Any PFS should work. You'll have to travel outside of DC to find PFS, in all likelihood, although I think there is a pool supply store out Mass. Ave.

DBLN8

Members
I have it in 3 tanks and I've never rinsed it before putting it in. I put a single 50lb bag in my 5' 120.

Tangcollector

Staff member
I got Mystic White II from Danny's in crofton. It is really clean and really White. Beautiful stuff. Got the suggestion here on this site.

Howie

Members
Reed told me he got his at Lees in Tysons. I might go there.

So based on Jon, Matt, and Norman, I don't have to painstakingly rinse PFS at all before putting in my 120--just from the bag to tank?

Norman, how many inches of sand is a 50 lb bag in your 5' 120?

Thanks Gents for your wise counsel!!

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
So based on Jon, Matt, and Norman, I don't have to painstakingly rinse PFS at all before putting in my 120--just from the bag to tank?

Same, I have PFS in several tanks and I've never rinsed, never had a loss either.

Start slow with the sand, you can always add more, but taking it out can be a PITA. I know I have less than 100 pounds in my 5' 120, but I can't remember the exact amount.

spazmattik

Members
Same, I have PFS in several tanks and I've never rinsed, never had a loss either.

Start slow with the sand, you can always add more, but taking it out can be a PITA. I know I have less than 100 pounds in my 5' 120, but I can't remember the exact amount.

I agree. I put 80 lbs in my 125

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Howie,

Unless you have fish that dig or sift the substrate or have rooted plants, all you really need is enough to cover the bottom.

I'm a corydoras guy, and my tanks have just enough sand for them to get their snouts in. No more than an inch in the deepest one, probably half an inch in the rest.

Blaise

Howie

Members
I'm putting Africans in -- the majority will be from the awarding-winning Very Fishe Room courtesy of Master Breeder Reed. So 50 lbs should be enough for a 5' 120 I guess?

Oh, another variable to factor into the decisionmaking on how much: I will be building a significant lace rock wall with approximately 60 lbs +/- 10 lbs of it which will be about 14-18" high (tank is 25.5 tall). Do I need extra sand as a buffer for the sheer amount of rock I'll be using?

Thanks so much for all your sound advice. This is my first triple digit gallon tank and I'm trying to prevent the usual newbie mistakes! LOL

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Get two bags.

Have it in most tanks as well and never rinsed any of it.

b considine

I'd use some plastic egg crate diffuser to build your rockwork on, then cover in sand. Blaise

b considine

Spread the weight more evenly and prevent any pressure points. Also, should your construct collapse, the egg crate will take the blow, not the glass.

Blaise

Leffler817

CCA Members
Egg crate protects the bottom glass from cracking should you drop a rock or have one fall off the wall. There are two options: 1. a clear light diffuser which is sold in 2'x4' sheets. It has a bumpy side and the other is stippled. I found that at Lowes for about $12. 2. You could use the same size sheet of egg crate which is 1/2" squares and it's a 1/2" deep. To get that I had to get that at an electrical supply store. Lowe's near me doesn't carry it. (No surprise there)

IMO get the clear stuff. It's not a easy or neat to cut but if the fish move the sand around, you're looking at a clear textured plastic not the white squares.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app