• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Why do my fish Kirk Out?!?!

Malawimania

Members
Ok, so I have a 220 gallon aquarium that's the center piece of my family room. Considering the tank is in the family room there tends to be a lot of foot traffic. My question is are they're any suggestions to get my fish more comfortable with all the traffic? They're constantly jolting across the aquarium whenever anyone walks by it. I need to figure this out, can't take another show fish with a busted eye or gash.

-Steve

Plenipotentiary-at-large
That's tough

Put it against a wall and/or elevate it. Aside from a lot of interior hardscape can't think of any other options aside from overstocking and narcotics.

WendyFish

Members
Can you spend a few days or a week dropping in a very small amount of food when someone walks by?

Forego their regular feedings, and just give them a little pinch -- enough to make them excited -- when a human appears. Then they don't get overfed but they also associate passing humans with something good. Maybe repeat at random over time.

This is an idea. My fish are mostly in places where they aren't skittish, but the one tank that is a little skittish is very social when they know it's mealtime.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
That's good Wendy

Behavioral modification/conditioning of course (us childless types tend to forget about that) - definitely rates the Avatar Seal (Urk! Urk! - Be quiet you!) of Approval. :D

JLW

CCA Members
A small group of dither fish might help, depending on the cichlid population, may help. Something that won't ... uh, kirk out ... when someone walks by.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Good idea, Wendy. I know in my 180, whenever a person gets anywhere close to the tank, there is water splashing and lids rattling as the fish all try to be the first one to get something to eat.

After Anton's talk last year, I've really tried to cut back on feedings. I usually skip at least 2 days a week except on fry. It seems to keep everything healthy and eating and certainly active whenever the canopy opens.

Malawimania

Members
Behavioral modification/conditioning of course (us childless types tend to forget about that) - definitely rates the Avatar Seal (Urk! Urk! - Be quiet you!) of Approval. :D

Good ole Pavlov's Dogs, certainly worth a shot, thinking it's maybe one or two skidish fish that send the rest of the fish jolting for cover. I will try what Wendy recommended and see how that goes. I appreciate everyone's advice!

-Steve