• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Feeding bugs to your fish

Has anyone ever done this with there fish a lot? I just noticed my apistos loved my fruitflies and bean beetles. Curious on other peoples experience

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I feed superworms to my larger ca/sa cichlids as a treat.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chriscoli

Administrator
Although not a true "bug", I feed worms (microworms, whiteworms, and red wigglers) quite often. So far, no takers on the stink bugs, though.

Andrew, what are superworms?

I've considered raising wingless fruit flies, but I spent so much time near a fruit fly lab in college that the smell of fruit fly culture really grosses me out.

Mine dont smell bad until the culture is dead. Ill give you a culture to try at AquaMania if your interested. Mine really loved the bean beetles though as the adult beetles are less than .25"

Although not a true "bug", I feed worms (microworms, whiteworms, and red wigglers) quite often. So far, no takers on the stink bugs, though.

Andrew, what are superworms?

I've considered raising wingless fruit flies, but I spent so much time near a fruit fly lab in college that the smell of fruit fly culture really grosses me out.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Superworms resemble mealworms but are larger, have a softer exoskeleton, and can't live through refridgeration. My last group multiplied without any signs of beetles present, making me wonder if they have a simple metamorphosis.

chriscoli

Administrator
Mine dont smell bad until the culture is dead. Ill give you a culture to try at AquaMania if your interested. Mine really loved the bean beetles though as the adult beetles are less than .25"

Hmmm I might have to give it a try then. What do you raise them on?

I've been wanting to try something live but less meaty than worms with some of my fish. Especially those that would naturally pick bugs from the surface.

I make my own FF media. Come by my table sunday and Ill have a FF and bean beetle for you.

Hmmm I might have to give it a try then. What do you raise them on?

I've been wanting to try something live but less meaty than worms with some of my fish. Especially those that would naturally pick bugs from the surface.

Crickets are the key for my arowanas. The last 2 I purchased would not any of the food items the previous owner was feeding so after about an week I switched over to crickets and they have been eating everything since then.

Andrew

Members
Don't have any at the moment, but I love feeding crickets to African Butterflyfish... They go NUTS!

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Mosquito larvae

The universal freshwater meal - better than blackworms judging from the reactions of my Corydoras.

chriscoli

Administrator
Oh, yes....they love mosquito larvae! It does not do good things for marital harmony when one escapes indoors, though.

Becca

Members
Superworms resemble mealworms but are larger, have a softer exoskeleton, and can't live through refridgeration. My last group multiplied without any signs of beetles present, making me wonder if they have a simple metamorphosis.

I kept these for years to feed bearded dragons - they definitely turn into beetles. Sometimes when you get a culture you get small ones that grow bigger that you never knew were there. That might be what was going on - they start out super tiny. The buggers BITE, too! (the worms, not the beetles).

There are also "micro" meal worms that I used to feed my BD hatchlings back when I was breeding. They might be good for smaller fish. They are tiny, dark brown, and move hilariously fast - it's hilarious because they are so fast-paced but, due to small size, cover little ground.