• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Powerheads in Tanks

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Having kept a couple of reef tanks for a while now, I've become a fan of throwing additional water flow into tanks. Not just reef tanks (which require strong, random flow for the corals to survive), but in my African tanks.

Besides stirring up detritus that may settle on the floor and promote aeration through surface agitation, I think most of the fish enjoy the extra flow. Sort of like throwing a wheel in for a hamster, I think it gives them a bit more exercise. In aggressive tanks, it adds a bit more distraction as well imo.

I really only have it setup now on my 180 (1100 gph Tunze nanostream) since putting powerheads in the growout tanks would be impractical. On medium-sized tanks with power filters, you can catch the fish swimming upstream against the waterfall.

I've heard arguments for and against doing this for rift lake fish, but I'm pretty sure there is significant current and wave action at the shores of these giant lakes.

So let's hear it.... how many folks use additional flow in their tanks? I'd to hear from the CA/SA folks as well.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
I've always been a strong advocate for power heads and more flow. I also believe in creating an artificial current that replicates the Great Lake Malawi so that my African's feel at home.

Nevertheless, it really does relax them and at the same time keep the water sparkling clean, plus it looks cool!

RM

bertolli

Members
I put a Koralia 2 in my flowerhorn's 40 breeder tank and not only does she enjoy the current but it keeps a lot of poo from gathering, in fact, most of it ends up in the filter now.

I also have two maxijet 1200's I'm gonna put in my 55 when I finally redo it, still debating on whether to try the UGJ's or just putting them in the lower back corners.

NYfan78

Members
I have 2 AC 70s on my 55 and on full suction they produce a good current through out the tank and down to the bottom from what i can see.

I have 2 koralia 3's in my 180 and it keeps the bottom pretty clean. The fish seem to swim against the flow so I guess they like it.

Cartel

Members
I went with low flow just to keep the poo off the bottom so i have 2 Koralia 1's on my 125 one on each side and im adding another in the middle since im getting a dead spot there. Its not alot of flow but enough where the fish sometimes come up and play in the current and most importantly does what I put there for. No poo!

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I have a koralia 1 in my 54 corner planted tank for a little flow across the lower front of the tank. I have a koralia nano in my 12g nano reef for extra flow as well.

cmcpart0422

Members
In my 75 gallon tropheus tank I have an AC500, Emperor 400, XP4, and on top of all that I have power heads in the tank. I am a fan of water movements and my tropheus school in the currents all the time.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I have never used powerheads. I never new what they were for and how they relate to filtration until Matt(dog of war) explained it to me yesterday. I like having extra flow in my tanks but achieved that through HOB filters. I was at petsmart Friday and they had a marineland 550 on the clearance rack for $20. I may have to go get it...
I enjoy learning new tricks to better fish keeping. This club rocks!:party0007:

Jumbie

Members
Agree
I've always been a strong advocate for power heads and more flow. I also believe in creating an artificial current that replicates the Great Lake Malawi so that my African's feel at home.

Nevertheless, it really does relax them and at the same time keep the water sparkling clean, plus it looks cool!

RM

Laxison

Members
I use powerheads in some of my tanks and the fish like to "exercise" by swimming against the water flow (water treadmill). Highly recommended for increased water movement to keep the tank clean and sparkly, too!