• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

African cichlid tank mates

I have a 75g african cichlid tank and i was wondering if i could put a oscar in with them...im just wouldnering if a oscar could handle such high ph and if there would be any aggression problems..thanks rob

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

verbal

CCA Members
Mbuna and an Oscar won't work for either. Some of the bigger but less aggressive haps might work. The combo really only makes sense if you are using treated tap. If you are increasing your hardness and ph, it doesn't make sense to subject the Oscar to that.

The other issue is a 75 really isn't a permanent home for an Oscar.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

eden2020

Members
Oscar and Africans...

Ok.. so .. not sure it is recommended BUT.. I currently have exactly what you are asking about.

7 years ago I buy my little guy Marcus an Oscar (he was 2). Marcus is now 9 (we still have "Oscar"), which I believe to actually be female.

I digress..

So what do you do with a full grown Oscar. Well you put 14 inch said Oscar in a 180 after you move her from a 90 and find her large friends. So far she has been housed with large Geos, large Scats, a female Chocolate Cichlid, and large Synodontis cats.

Due to a cracked 180 tank she is back in a 90 (3x2x2) and happily sharing her space with a large Lelupi, a large breeding pair of Orange Zebras, a decent sized Foss Rostratus, a couple large Syno Cats (same ones as before), and a large Peacock.

Her recent 180 mates included: breeding pair of Brichardi's, three decent sized Protomelas, various Peacocks, and others. Pretty much anything that was large enough to hold their own that I couldn't find homes for and refused to take to a pet store.

Now is that ideal? Probably not. However, I feed our oscar pellets with occasional treats (no feeders), and utilize treated tap water.

Remember, aggression varies, and if it fits in an Oscar's mouth it can and quite possibly will get eaten. It seems she prowls at night..

Your results may vary..

Good luck! -marc and family..