• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Hi everyone!

TomH

Members
My name is Tom. Christine introduced me to this forum. I have a 54 gal corner tank and need to populate it. I definitely want a clown loach and some angel fish, but would also like a couple of discus fish. I am looking for low maintenance and nice colors. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Welcome to the forum.

Although I have never kept discus, I believe that the tank raised fish are way more hearty than their wild caught ancestors, and if you aren't looking to breed them, they are not as difficult to keep as they were in the past. Discus Hans is definitely the place to get them if you decide to go that route. I'll let some of our more experienced discus keepers weigh in on the tank being the appropriate size.

Good luck and keep us posted of your progress.

Jon

verbal

CCA Members
My name is Tom. Christine introduced me to this forum. I have a 54 gal corner tank and need to populate it. I definitely want a clown loach and some angel fish, but would also like a couple of discus fish. I am looking for low maintenance and nice colors. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

If you want low maintenance and nice colors, angels are the way to go. Discus may not be as finicky as their reputation if you start with healthy ones, but they do take more work than the average aquarium.

I think your tank is relatively high -- is that right? -- so angels would be a good place to start. Maybe 5, with some larger tetras, some cories and a BN pleco and you're good to go. Plants would also be nice. I would not recommend discus in a new tank. Once it's established, then it might be worth a try. I personally wouldn't get a clown loach. It's not the right continent, they get large, they ruin the fung shui of the angels!

verbal

CCA Members
Plants would also be nice. I would not recommend discus in a new tank. Once it's established, then it might be worth a try. I personally wouldn't get a clown loach. It's not the right continent, they get large, they ruin the fung shui of the angels!

Some easy plants would be great for the tank. If you start with a planted tank substrate some amazon swords would be great. Some anubias and/or java fern can fill out the planting.

I think you can get clown loaches if you have a plan to house them long term. They get big and like company, but take their time growing.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Welcome to the forum. :)

I think that while it has been done, discus and angels don't often make good tank mates. Discus are relatively non-aggressive (outside their own species) whereas angels can be some tough cookies. I think that folks successfully pulling of both species do it in a pretty large (long) tank.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Greengirl

Members
If you want angels. I have plenty myself and Doug Gosnell has a hatchery with tons of juvies to unload. PM me when you want to start stocking.

verbal

CCA Members
Jesse -- when you say 8, what size are you thinking? Like a quarter?

Yes that seems about right. The tank doesn't have the length of a 55, but the overall footprint is about the same. As they grow, I think 2 pairs or 5 to 6 unpaired angels should work.

Greengirl

Members
I have about 5 quarter sizes right now ready for sale. I need to make room for my latest spawn so I am looking to find them a nice home. Interested?