• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Video: Growout Yellow Head La Ceiba

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
So I finally got around to shooting some video this week. Since Mo Devlin came up earlier this year, I've had some of his Parachromis sp. "Yellow Head La Ceiba" growing out. When I got them in the spring, they were probably 3/4" TL. Of the 8 I have, the largest is probably about 3" long and they go down in size from there to about 1.5" TL.

Unlucky Otocinchlus...

DSC_0633F.jpg

I've heard that the smaller ones are generally females, but it seems like too big a discrepancy. Are the smallest 2 of them stunted (or another smaller batch) or indeed females?

As you can see, they've been starting to beat on each other a bit lately. They're in a 20 high now, but are going to move up to a 40 breeder in a bit, then eventually onto one of those 48"x18"x13" tall 50 gallon longs.

Is the patterning on their sides any indication of sex?

(Excuse the dirty glass and crap floating in the water, btw)

[YT]mlgAoKMymdc[/YT]

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Looking good, Tony. I have very little experience with parachromis, so I'm no help when it comes to sexing them. Agreed that it is about time to move them into bigger digs. It will give them a little more room to spread out and hopefully let some of the smaller ones have a better chance of getting more to eat. My experience with other New World grow outs is that the alpha males will grow pretty fast because they are bullying the others away at feeding time.

When you decide you have too many, I may have get a few from you.

Tony

Welp, about 9 months have passed since I initially made this post. In the spring, I moved all 5 of the little guys over to a 40 breeder and then over the summer to a 4'x20"x13" high 60-ish gallon tank.

The largest male has taken off in growth. He is about 7" - 8" or so now and is a thick monster. His betrothed is the second largest in the tank, about 5" long. A couple of weeks ago, they had their first spawn.

Rich's fish are on the left side of the divider. As you can see about halfway through the video, my pair does not take kindly to those three...

Once I give Rich his fish at the meeting, I'll remove the divider for a while to let them spread out. She can fit nicely in the log for now, but figure that down the road, it may be a good idea to put the divider back in and cut her a doorway.

Feel free to click the "Watch on Youtube" button and click it up to HD. The glass is still dirty, but you can see the fry pretty well.

[YT]Tkd58z0Urmc[/YT]

dogofwar

CCA Members
How did you not show this to me today!!!?

Watch your fingers when you feed the fry. Babies bite!

Matt

blkmjk

Members
Beautiful pair. Mine aren't quite that aggressive ATM. But they do defend their fry. Is their any difference in between La Ciebas and Fredrichstalli yellow heads? The reason I ask is my pair look identical to yours.

Drew

Tony

Thanks a lot, guys.

Sorry we didn't check it out Matt. That batch of fry is actually gone, but they are in dress again, presumably defending more eggs.

Beautiful pair. Mine aren't quite that aggressive ATM. But they do defend their fry. Is their any difference in between La Ciebas and Fredrichstalli yellow heads? The reason I ask is my pair look identical to yours.

Drew

I'm not sure. I believe that they are the same fish, but pretty new to the CA game. I do not think that they have been assigned officially to the fredichstalli species.