• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Do fish get tumors?

Becca

Members
One of our wild-type rams has developed what looks like a tumor. It started as a barely visible row of risen scales and has turned into a pinkish lump. This is not fungus, there's no external parasite that I can see, she's not scratching or showing other signs of poor health.

I would take a photo, but we're talking 1 tiny ram in a 150 gallon tank- I can't get one that shows up well enough to see what I'm talking about.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I've had fish that appear to have internal tumors/growths that eventually killed the fish over time (not bloat, but something else in an adult fish). Pink/white growths on the body and/or fins could be lymph.

Becca

Members
I've had fish that appear to have internal tumors/growths that eventually killed the fish over time (not bloat, but something else in an adult fish). Pink/white growths on the body and/or fins could be lymph.

What is lymph?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I don't know much about exactly what lymph is, but I believe it is viral, contagious, and untreatable. I'll see if I can find any good articles somewhere.

Becca

Members
I googled it... at least it appears to be temporary and non-life-threatening. It's like fish herpes... LOL.

rsretep

Members
I lost one of my male lyonsii to what I was told was a tumor, on an eight inch fish the tumor was the size of an average marble.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
One of my jewels had a tumor above his eye...I removed it a few months back it now looks like a callus is building up where it was removed. You never know exactly why these happen but some times I wish vets could help...but would prob charge and arm and a leg. I've never thought to ask maybe when I take my dogs in.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Becca

Members
One of my jewels had a tumor above his eye...I removed it a few months back it now looks like a callus is building up where it was removed. You never know exactly why these happen but some times I wish vets could help...but would prob charge and arm and a leg. I've never thought to ask maybe when I take my dogs in.

How did you remove it?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Prepared an area with damp towels in a shallow Tupperware container. Sanitized pen knife and blade(the ones that look like scalpels)
Had a small hospital tank set up and ready to go
Removed fish from tank into small container
Folded damp towel over the rest of its body. Lay the blade parallel against the body and remove.
You can use clove oil to anesthetize the fish. Have something like quick clot or cornstarch to stop bleeding.
Be fast less time out of water the better but be gentile and firm as for the cut try to be precise and not too close to the body. Here he is with his scare and callus

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1386782882.905258.jpg