• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What veggies do you feed your fish?

chriscoli

Administrator
A recent thread got me thinking of all of the veggies I've tried feeding my fish and I was wondering what other folks do.

So far, I've had success with:
Canned green beans (apparently my fish are somewhat snobby and prefer I split them lengthwise otherwise they won't eat them)
Canned peas
Fresh cucumber
Fresh green and yellow zucchini
Uncooked sweet potato (takes them a while, but doesn't seem to get too funky even after a few days)
Most recently...uncooked squash (leftover decorative mini-pumpkins)

But I know some folks are cooking their veggies first, or freezing them.

What do you do?

halkentjr

Members
I tried something recently w/ green zucchini. the ancistrus didn't go near it. I blanched the slices so they would sink, then I tried adding garlic powder to the saucepan. the bushynose are all over it now. so are the rosy barbs. the blanched carrot rounds worked the same , but the fish eat the squash first.

rsretep

Members
I buy zucchini (yellow or green) quarter it and freeze it in zip lock sandwich bags. To feed I thaw and wrap a plant weight around the piece to sink it.

chriscoli

Administrator
So I realized tonight that some of the plecos that I thought didn't like the squash just didn't like having to go upside down for the inner flesh (the pieces are curved, so it's not like they don't have any access). The baby plecos had no problem crawling all over it, but the adults weren't too keen on it. As soon as I turned the pieces rind-down they've been a huge hit across the board with the plecos. The Etroplus, Ancistrus, and blue phantom plecos have been chowing down all day... Surprisingly, the Mbuna are so-so on it.

My synos love it! So do the yellow labs but the haps and peacocks not so much.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chriscoli

Administrator
I can't believe how much the Blue Phantoms are digging the squash...this'll have to become a regular part of what I offer them. Of course as soon as I took the pic, they ran away....

image.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
I tear the squash into little pieces and many of the cichlids eat it... some I think just gulp anything that comes from the "Great Hand that Dispenses Sustenance" above the tank...but most swallowed and ate it!

Matt

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I tried the guts from the pumpkin we carved for Halloween...the little strings look like worms. The tank went nuts my cobalt blue acted like he had never been fed he fought everyone off. didn't try with my cons or jewels. (Wasn't trying to experiment on all my fish at once)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app