• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

This fish should be dead.

I have a panduro that all of a sudden one day went to Lying on the bottom of the tank on his side. At the time was in a 55 hex. I moved him to a 20 long to try get him better. But I don't really know what's wrong. Still swims when provoked and when I'm asleep. Cause he's alway in a diffrent spot. Been this way for about a month. I was originally thinking about putting him down, but not sure how to do that with a fish this small. Any thoughts Yall?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Localzoo

Board of Directors
What are your tank parameters
Sounds like its struggling to move almost like an asthmatic person...are his gills ok? Any past outbreaks of ich or anchor worms?
Does he look like he's struggling to move or eat?

Someone else might chime in and have way better advice

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I had a fish do this once in the past. I never could determine the problem, but suspected it was a swim bladder issue. Mine was a 5" chocolate cichlid, and she lived on the bottom of my tank on her side for about 5 months before I euthanized her. Never got any better.

Becca

Members
Swim bladder issues don't always kill fish, but once it's shot the swim bladder doesn't recover, either.

There was a guy who used airline tubing to build a flotation device for his pet goldfish. I'm dead serious - pretty sure I saw it posted on forums 8-10 months ago.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Swim bladder issues don't always kill fish, but once it's shot the swim bladder doesn't recover, either.

There was a guy who used airline tubing to build a flotation device for his pet goldfish. I'm dead serious - pretty sure I saw it posted on forums 8-10 months ago.

I remember the picture. Lots of work for a fish, but if that is what someone wants to do, go for it. I eventually euthanized my fish as I started to see others in the tank picking on her without her being able to defend herself.

YSS

Members
I have a jewel cichlid that's doing the similar thing. Not laying on his side, but at the bottom of the tank not moving much at all. Not sure what I am going to do with the fish ...

Greengirl

Members
One of my big angels is going through this now. I took her out of the auction and brought her home. She layed on her side all night long. I thought she would be dead by morning. I come out to find her upright but still on the bottom and still alive.

With a will to live like that, I don't want to put her down if there is a chance she can pull through. What are the best things I can do to help her chances? Is Pemafix something to use?

Hawkman2000

Members
Could itbe plugged up digestive system? I had a simalar prob with a jewel. I fed him only cut up frozen pees for a month. Prob solved.

Tank params are all norm. No amon nitrates or trites. 75f temp. There may have been a slight bump in ammonia befor I move him as I was behind on cleaning the filter, but everyone else is fine. And apparently the apistos bread cause I went from 4 total to 5.....weird at first I thought he had just shrunk a whole lot and got better. Also what is the best way to put a small fish down? Boot? Club? Sling shot? Trebuchet? Surely there is a kinder way

When he moves he moves fast and seems fine but bumps in to stuff and can't seem to get up right. No past out breaks. I can prolly just check his gills like ya would at the market right?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Try raising the temp slightly to 78.
If the ammonia was up it could be burnt gills try keeping him calm and lights low for a little while. You said he moves when your not watching. That might help add a few extra air stones+pump make it easier for him.

If you really really want to put him down just slowly lower the temp so he won't notice then keep it low he will eventually pass

But try for a little while longer he might make it. just make it easier for him less stress more oxygen clean water etc...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ezrk

Members

We actually fixed a swim bladder issue once (the fist subsequently died due to aggression on reintroduction but it wasn't because she couldn't swim).

We read somewhere online that basically you can do physical therapy for your fish. First keep them in a tank with very low water levels which will let them swim upright even with a dodgy swim bladder. After a few days increase and decrease the water level in the tank which helps them get the swim bladder working again apparently. It actually didn't take all that many times doing this to get her swimming again.

We have also found that fish that have swim bladder problems also tend to wind up with spine problems with crooked backs or partial paralysis it seems.

Becca

Members
I puree peas, strain water out, then spread them thin on a baking sheet and put them in the oven at a low temp to dry... it creates a flake that you can crumble to whatever size you want. I use big pieces to feed to plecos, little pieces for shrimp.

JasonC

Members
I puree peas, strain water out, then spread them thin on a baking sheet and put them in the oven at a low temp to dry... it creates a flake that you can crumble to whatever size you want. I use big pieces to feed to plecos, little pieces for shrimp.

This is a really good idea... thanks!

He died about two weeks ago and when I cleaned out the tank there was a new fish! I guesa before he got sick he had spawned with a lady he was housed with and this one somehow made it onto the transfered tank via water siphon. So now I got four females, and this newest one is super blue like her pops.....anyone wanna trade sexes?