• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Whats your best David vs. Goliath fish story?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Everyone has a story of a "small" fish that can hold its own, or possibly even kill, a much larger fish. When I was young I witnessed a breeding pair of convicts no bigger than 4" kill an 8" Jack Dempsey and later a 7" Oscar. I was amazed at the ability of this fish to dominate a fish twice its size. And for the most part, the female inflicted the most damage. The male mostly chased.

Whats your craziest story?

toddnbecka

Members
I've seen two that were laughable. The first was a single 1" Malawi zebra dropped into a 55 "community" tank. There were several angelfish large enough to snap the little bugger up in one bite, but he chased them all around mercilessly.
The other one was a 2" electric catfish dropped into a 125 with 3 fully grown Oscar's and a black pacu the size of a dinner plate. The dominant Oscar saw something the size of a feeder goldfish, and moved in quickly. The catfish never even reacted visibly, actually looked like it didn't notice the Oscar. At about 2" away it suddenly turned back, but soon tried a second time with the same result. The second Oscar only tried once, the third never even bothered. The giant pacu (that also ate feeder goldfish) acted like it was terrified of the little bugger from the start. I saw the tank again a couple days later. Wherever the little zapper was, the huge fish were crowded together as far away as they could get. As the little catfish swam around the tank, the big ones did too, on the opposite side/end.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
:pound:

I've seen two that were laughable. The first was a single 1" Malawi zebra dropped into a 55 "community" tank. There were several angelfish large enough to snap the little bugger up in one bite, but he chased them all around mercilessly.
The other one was a 2" electric catfish dropped into a 125 with 3 fully grown Oscar's and a black pacu the size of a dinner plate. The dominant Oscar saw something the size of a feeder goldfish, and moved in quickly. The catfish never even reacted visibly, actually looked like it didn't notice the Oscar. At about 2" away it suddenly turned back, but soon tried a second time with the same result. The second Oscar only tried once, the third never even bothered. The giant pacu (that also ate feeder goldfish) acted like it was terrified of the little bugger from the start. I saw the tank again a couple days later. Wherever the little zapper was, the huge fish were crowded together as far away as they could get. As the little catfish swam around the tank, the big ones did too, on the opposite side/end.

F8LBITE

Members
I used to have a single gold Occie in my 75G with Haps and Peacocks and he would defend his shell like he was getting ready to breed. Noone could get close to his shell without him coming out and chasing them away.

Andrew

Members
Saltwater... Had a breeding pair of Domino Damsels in a client's tank, about 2 inches each. They killed a 10" lionfish and an 8" clown trigger. The other fish figured out how to stay away.

fishmeds

Members
I have a German Blue Ramshead Cichlid which is all of 2.25 inches long, 2.5 on a really good day. This crackhead chases my 8 inch Green Terror and 6 inch Firemouths. For a while he was in with full grown discus but he chased them so much that he had to be moved. The craziest thing is that no one ever chases him...even my large fish fear him. Bizzare

iamzrad

Members
2.5" kyoga flameback. vs 8" moorii dolphin.

The flameback chases the dolphin all day long and the dolphin takes it, doesn't even fight back. Kinda pathetic. But just shows the attitude of little Victorians! :)

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have told this story on here before but, 5 or 6 years ago I had a 90 gallon tank with 9 very large Gold Severums in it. Big boys. For the heck of it I put 6 Demasoni in it at approx 1.5 inches. The severums chased them around trying to eat them.
By the next day all 9 of the severums were in one corner and the demasoni had the run of the tank.

Saltwater... Had a breeding pair of Domino Damsels in a client's tank, about 2 inches each. They killed a 10" lionfish and an 8" clown trigger. The other fish figured out how to stay away.

Agree, pound for pound the Damsel (any kind) are probably the toughest fish out there. They will pick a fight with any fish and eventually kill it. They are the devils fish. I made the mistake of buying some and boy did I regret it. Then trying to get them out of tank was a pain in the @**.:angry3:

iamzrad

Members
I have told this story on here before but, 5 or 6 years ago I had a 90 gallon tank with 9 very large Gold Severums in it. Big boys. For the heck of it I put 6 Demasoni in it at approx 1.5 inches. The severums chased them around trying to eat them.
By the next day all 9 of the severums were in one corner and the demasoni had the run of the tank.

HAHA!!! :lol: