• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Grow-out contest forum

Perlmutts

Members
How many fry are usually necessary for a grow out contest ? At what size do you want the fry to start the contest?

Forester

Members
Well I would be up for a monster grow out cause I am going to be building a large heated pond.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
Make sure you post a thread in DIY when you get started...

Matt

Well I would be up for a monster grow out cause I am going to be building a large heated pond.

verbal

CCA Members
How many fry are usually necessary for a grow out contest ? At what size do you want the fry to start the contest?

I think 6 is a typical number per participant, although that can be adjusted if there is a lot of interest and the brood is small. The fish need to be big enough that they are past the fragile fry stage, but small enough that they will still grow pretty quickly.

Did you have a species in mind?

Forester

Members
Make sure you post a thread in DIY when you get started...

Matt

I will post one. We are going to start building this spring. It will be multiple thousand gallons nd will double as rainwater storage. For filtration we are going to build a huge underground sump/rainwater storage and cleaning module.

Perlmutts

Members
I think 6 is a typical number per participant, although that can be adjusted if there is a lot of interest and the brood is small. The fish need to be big enough that they are past the fragile fry stage, but small enough that they will still grow pretty quickly.

Did you have a species in mind?

Verbal I did have a group in mind, Kyoga Flameback which are CCR on the list. Critically Endangered.

Xystichromis sp. ‘kyoga flameback’CCR(8)

I may have a distributer who is willing to help me fingers crossed, if not I will need some help/guidance on shipping being I am in Florida and have not yet shipped, but willing to try up to you / those involved. I am not mentioning his name, although I believe he is a vendor/speaker at the Konvention and don't want to cross any lines.

Right now I have about 200+ fry that have been free swimming about a week. Not sure how the program works all together, but if we acted swiftly we could have a grow out going in about 2 weeks ? This week is shot other than discussion as I am out of town at a business meeting.

Kyoga Flameback.jpg

Last edited:

Perlmutts

Members
Verbal,

I spoke to Mike of Mike's Cichlids and he is going to the Konvention, he said that he would deliver the fry up there since he was going to be there, that is if this fits the time table and this is a fish people want to grow out. I know there were some other fish that people were really interested in too.

Maybe run a pole on what people want to grow out ??

HoleyRockofTex

CCA Members
Next spawn of Cryptoheros myrnae that I have (which are ACA CARES), I'll donate for this. They just spawn, shall we say, intermittently.

The Victorians are ideal for this because captive populations are about it...they're prolific...and it's important to get them in a bunch of hands.

Anyone got anything other than sp. "ruby" going?

Matt

I have a group of Sp. 35 and I am looking into maybe getting some other species but not sure yet.