• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Reptile heater on an aquarium?

Becca

Members
I'm trying to find a non-intrusive (minimally visible) way to heat a 1-2 gallon aquarium to 70-75 degrees. I was thinking about using an adhesive under-tank heater like some use for reptile enclosures, such as the Zoo Med Mini heater.

Has anyone done anything like this before? Any feedback on over/under-heating, potential hazards, etc?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Probably would work, although I've never done it my self. I'd guess it isn't the most efficient way to heat things. Any idea how hot the heater actually gets?

Becca

Members
Probably would work, although I've never done it my self. I'd guess it isn't the most efficient way to heat things. Any idea how hot the heater actually gets?

I'm still trying to figure that one out - it apparently will bring the temperature up by 2-8 degrees in a terrarium, but I'm not sure what this means for water.

I'd imagine it would take longer to bring water temp up, but since water retains its temperature longer, it might actually bring it up more.

Becca

Members
what about something like: http://amzn.com/B006JVQ67K

I have one, the problem is that the cord has to go up over the edge of the container and then down into the container. If it were flexible enough to do this in one nice, straight line, curve over the edge, and then go straight down on the same line, I'd consider it, but it's not. Also, because the cord is a jerk that way, the thing will only sit on the bottom under heavy substrate - Fluval stratum and leaves doesn't fit that description.

JasonC

Members
well poo... glad I asked then... was thinking about getting one myself...

off topic, but, how do you like that fluval stratum?

Becca

Members
well poo... glad I asked then... was thinking about getting one myself...

off topic, but, how do you like that fluval stratum?

The tank I have it in right now is a Fluval View. I also tried the new S.T. International AquaSoil in my SpecV.

It's only been a few months for each, but the shrimp in the View seem happier and plant growth is slightly improved (I only have a few small crypts in there). I'm definitely seeing better growth in the AquaSoil tank, though still with low-light/easy plants. The shrimp in there seem fine, too.