• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Help body shop workers needed

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Ok so calling all body shop workers.
I've got a very serious paint job needed. I've got the know how but not the place or equipment. I got an old radio flyer tricycle that I got from the thrift store I want to modify and paint for my daughter. View attachment 13080
With this kind of paint job but more purpleImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1421723590.173229.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1421723590.173229.jpg

Tangcollector

Staff member
I have a blast cabinet but I am not sure if that thing will fit in it. Can you give me the dimensions of the largest piece.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
16"x9"x6" is biggest
longest piece is 24 inch pipe
59103006-1029-4547-86B7-6C613E2060FE.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] image with beer bottle for reference

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Will,

I've got a compressor, but my sand blast equipment wore out. I had used something like this for some blasting (around rear window of el camino, for example).
http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html.

If you have something like that I'd be glad to hook it to my compressor and clean that stuff up quickly. I'd then use rattle can paint to seal and topcoat. Enamels would hold up better than laquers, but you have to pay attention to second/third coat timing to ensure that it lays down properly. I painted one of those little pedal cars, a family hand me down, with Rustoleum enamel (I sanded it with sandpaper rather than sandblast). I've painted several guitars with laquer paint, including coats of clear, and have found that it takes weeks for the laquer to fully cure and harden up, so I would think that's not a good alternative for you.

If you go the "soda blasting" route, you need to remove the residue before painting.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Will,

I've got a compressor, but my sand blast equipment wore out. I had used something like this for some blasting (around rear window of el camino, for example).
http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-abrasive-blaster-kit-37025.html.

If you have something like that I'd be glad to hook it to my compressor and clean that stuff up quickly. I'd then use rattle can paint to seal and topcoat. Enamels would hold up better than laquers, but you have to pay attention to second/third coat timing to ensure that it lays down properly. I painted one of those little pedal cars, a family hand me down, with Rustoleum enamel (I sanded it with sandpaper rather than sandblast). I've painted several guitars with laquer paint, including coats of clear, and have found that it takes weeks for the laquer to fully cure and harden up, so I would think that's not a good alternative for you.

If you go the "soda blasting" route, you need to remove the residue before painting.

Thanks Abby
I wanted someone with a shin because they sometimes have the lights to cure the paint. Soda blasting is a little safer but def leaves residue behind. I've tried sanding by hand/electric sander and realized u would be sanding for years lol.
If I can't find someone to do it in a body shop I might go the buying my own equipment route. (I have done smaller projects but the look i want requires custom paint...n I don't know how to mix paint lol I'm willing to work something out with whoever can help.
Lacquer is def the way to go.
I love working on projects like these but this is one that I kind if just want done/wife wants done...bc it requires stuff we don't have and "it's a quick excuse to buy more tools." Which is true

Tangcollector

Staff member
I will measure my blast cabinet on friday when I am at my shop. I think everything will fit in there. I will let you know.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Excellent - another issue to consider is where you will do the painting. Since it's cold outside, doing it outdoors or in unheated space won't work. Doing it in the house exposes everyone to the fumes. I've recently painted a project acoustic guitar in my basement, by the sliding glass door with an exhaust fan pulling the fumes out. Still got fumes in the house, as outside air still rushes in. Smell lasted about an hour. This was with lacquer. I painted the pedal car in my basement workshop with a small window, using enamels, and it really stunk up the house. Both cases were with rattle-can paint. So, it would be best if you can find a heated space that's not connected to living space. Let me know if there is anything I can assist with.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Excellent - another issue to consider is where you will do the painting. Since it's cold outside, doing it outdoors or in unheated space won't work. Doing it in the house exposes everyone to the fumes. I've recently painted a project acoustic guitar in my basement, by the sliding glass door with an exhaust fan pulling the fumes out. Still got fumes in the house, as outside air still rushes in. Smell lasted about an hour. This was with lacquer. I painted the pedal car in my basement workshop with a small window, using enamels, and it really stunk up the house. Both cases were with rattle-can paint. So, it would be best if you can find a heated space that's not connected to living space. Let me know if there is anything I can assist with.

Will do Abby. And thanks, I will keep you posted.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Yesss! That thing is awesome.
Now all it needs is a small block
With posi-trac rear end...that models too early for esc lol

Seriously that's beautiful.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks - got engine/trans/driveshaft/rear from my son's 65 F85 layin around, maybe I can stuff that stuff in there! Smallblock Olds - 330 c.i., 2 speed auto, 10 bolt highway open rear.

Did it in two-tone - got the idea from all the Chip Foose cars on Overhaulin.

I failed to paint multiple enamel coats in proper timeframe, and it all bubbled up and had to be resanded and repainted. Learned to follow directions, the hard way. LOL

Last edited:

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Thanks - got engine/trans/driveshaft/rear from my son's 65 F85 layin around, maybe I can stuff that stuff in there! Smallblock Olds - 330 c.i., 2 speed auto, 10 bolt highway open rear.

Did it in two-tone - got the idea from all the Chip Foose cars on Overhaulin.

I failed to paint multiple enamel coats in proper timeframe, and it all bubbled up and had to be resanded and repainted. Learned to follow directions, the hard way. LOL
Now wait! wait! wait!..........don't forget the roll cage. Mhhhkkkk cuz the power to weight ration will make that thing fly, or blow up - as a matter if fact during up the frame so it won't twist when you start her up might be a good idea too......:) lol
Lol I've learnt a lot if lessons the hard way....

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
ah yeah, roll bar, subframe connectors, strut tower brace, wheely bars, etc. LOL