• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

An Offer - Wild Amazon Fish

mab

Members
I'm going to the Amazon at the end of the month. This will be my fourth trip since 2006. I've now logged 40 days on collecting trips.

I've been asked numerous times if I can bring back something for someone. I've decided I'll give it a try. However; here's the deal.

Do your research on what is available coming out of Iquitos, Peru. Give me your list. I can't promise getting it, but I'll try.

If I don't catch it, I'll try to purchase it at the exporters. In addition to purchase costs you'll have to share the cost of shipping and export/import fees which run about $200 a box.

If you are interested you'll need to pay up-front as good-faith that you are willing to pay whatever it costs regardless of the cost. Obviously I'll refund funds not used - I don't intend to make a penny off this offer. You'll have to be willing to pay full costs for DOAs. My experience from past trips is that it does happen; however, it is the exception - like no more than 5 percent of a shipment, generally only 1 or 2 percent - but sometimes a whole bag.

Lastly, you'll need to be available very early on a weekday morning to pickup your fish at my place the day they arrive because I don't have spare tank space.

I'll share my quarantine regimen for the new arrivals.

Michael

mchambers

Former CCA member
Dates?

Mike,

When do you expect the fish to be at your place? Many folks are taking vacations then and may not be able to pick up the fish. (I know, misplaced priorities.)

Matt

minifoot77

Members
i'll take a bag of juvie angels mike :) how ever many you can fit in one or two bags at the most

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

mab

Members
Mike,

When do you expect the fish to be at your place? Many folks are taking vacations then and may not be able to pick up the fish. (I know, misplaced priorities.)

Matt

I hope they get here the week of the 14th, But, no guarantees.

couldn't find dates for these posts, but i'm hopeing that apisto panduro is something you might beable to get yer hands on.

-----never mind i read the whole post and realize its not do able. sorry just got so excited about fish from peru....

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
Hi Mike,

Really tempting :)

Any planning factors on how many small (~1-2"), medium (3-4") and large (~6-7") fish per box?

Thanks,
Matt

mab

Members
Boxes - costs

Hi Mike,

Really tempting :)

Any planning factors on how many small (~1-2"), medium (3-4") and large (~6-7") fish per box?

Thanks,
Matt

The exporter packs the boxes. How many fish per box is very variable. There may be several hundred small fish and only three or four large fish in a box. I can't give a promised figure on how much shipping will cost. I do have to have a commitment that regardless of the cost it will be covered.

mscichlid

Founder
Tatia perugiae
Poecilocharax weitzmani
crenuchus spilurus
Otocinclus cocama
Nannostomus mortenthaleri
Corydoras weitzmani

mab

Members
i'll take a bag of juvie angels mike :) how ever many you can fit in one or two bags at the most

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org
No promises on sizes since mother nature is not a factory producer of fish that offers multiples sizes at all times. Every trip I've been on I've caught Angels so I'll set some of those aside for you.

mab

Members
Tatia perugiae
Poecilocharax weitzmani
crenuchus spilurus
Otocinclus cocama
Corydoras weitzmani

Francine,

I recall seeing the first and last three in the exporters. Last trip we caught some C. spilurus (have three in a 10g) and O. cocama (just caught one - still have it.)

It cost me about $100 for six C. weitzmani at Panduros a couple years back.

Morten Thaler is one of the exporters in Iquitos. He seems to always have N. mortenthaleri color types I and II. I could try to get some from him if you wish - it makes the provenance extra special. We aren't going up the river that has them so I'll have to purchase.

That list is pretty special. I suspect rather costly to purchase - several hundred if not caught. My rough guess is about a half box for these without knowing numbers.

I'll add these to the list. Please provide quantities for each and prioritize the list so I can have a spend plan for your cash.

Michael

mscichlid

Founder
Otocinclus cocama
Poecilocharax weitzmani
Tatia perugiae

crenuchus spilurus
Corydoras weitzmani - removed from wish list

The order has been rearranged to my preference.

I'll need to know price per to make a determination on the amounts and also if I'll have others who may want the same fish. Weitzmani corys would definantly be limited to six for me.

Last edited:

mab

Members
Otocinclus cocama
Poecilocharax weitzmani
Tatia perugiae

crenuchus spilurus
Corydoras weitzmani

The order has been rearranged to my preference.

I'll need to know price per to make a determination on the amounts and also if I'll have others who may want the same fish. Weitzmani corys would definantly be limited to six for me.

No way to know "price per" until I'm in Iquitos on August 6 standing in the exporters looking at the fish. Nor will I know availability. If I luck into catching them there will be no price per.

Maybe better to state a max "price per" with numbers and then throw in extra for shipping.

mab

Members
No way to know "price per" until I'm in Iquitos on August 6 standing in the exporters looking at the fish. Nor will I know availability. If I luck into catching them there will be no price per.

Maybe better to state a max "price per" with numbers and then throw in extra for shipping.

For clarification purposes: I will go to the exporters after I get back from collecting on the Rio Nanay.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'll be back in town starting August 9, so your timing should work for me. I'd be interested in 6 or so green laser corydoras (cw009). Do you have any ballpark estimate of what those would cost using an exporter? Guess I'd prefer not to pay more than $80.

By the way, I just want to thank you for this incredibly generous offer.

mab

Members
I'll be back in town starting August 9, so your timing should work for me. I'd be interested in 6 or so green laser corydoras (cw009). Do you have any ballpark estimate of what those would cost using an exporter? Guess I'd prefer not to pay more than $80.

By the way, I just want to thank you for this incredibly generous offer.

Can't promise cost - it might be more, it might be less. $80 might cover purchase and shipping, it might not, it might be too much. There are just too many variables. If you get the $80 to me upfront, I'll see what I can do within that budget - if I can't then I'll get your money back to you when I return. I'll try my best.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Why don't you just buy them and sell them to us. It sounds like it would be easier that way.

Because he wants you to pay for shipping and you might find the price more than you thought and he wants you to take the risk of attrition. Many fish die in shipping and if you ask for sensetive fish, he gets them, they die, and he is screwed - nothing to sell. You pay up front, it is your problem, not his.

I would NEVER do this but he is offering you a deal. Some of the fish he can get you will never see in your LFS.

George