• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Finnex 24/7

Hawkman2000

Members
I am setting up a 37 soon and I am planning on an interesting mod.

I have an eclipse hood that I moded the filter on awhile back and it works great. I really want to take out the t8s and install an led in it.

Tank will have java fern, crypt ciliata, crypt lutea, and jungle val.

Must have dimming timmer.

Options -

Was considering a beamswork mod but the 30" 2x3w is out of stock.

No way of knowing if a finnex 24/7 will be strong enough for plants at that depth. Finnex absolutely refuses to put out any official info on this line. Very strange.

Current sat plus pro to expensive.

Build my led costs as much as the plus pro but doesn't seem to be as good.

If anyone has any other suggestions or if by chance anyone has recieved official lumens/par values for the 24/7 please let me know.

Jt731

Members
On planted tank there is a guy who measured 100 par at 7 inches. I found a video where a guy was getting 60-62 on a 20 high.

In the next day or two I am getting one of those all in one monitors that has a par meter and can tell you what I get on my 40 broad at max.

Finnex never put out official for the planted+ because they said they no longer had a par meter.

The dimming timer is not programmable btw. It is set to cycle to a new preset every 3 hours. But ithe dusk setting is amazing if you have red plants.

image.jpg

Hawkman2000

Members
Its doesn't seem very profesional to not put out any type of info as to the intencity of output for a product. Current gives both lumens and a par graph.

Not saying its not worth the money. Its just realy stupid for them to not put out enough information for consumers to know if it it right for them or not.

Becca

Members
I can say the current satellite + pro has an awesome timer, once you figure out how to use it. You can set your daylight and night setting and it fades to each of them at the time you set. It means you can chose the lighting look/color/intensity you prefer, which is really nice.

That said, I think it's more expensive than the 24/7.

Jt731

Members
It's a lot more expensive. I don't understand at all what is missing in their organization that a fixture marketed to the plant doesn't have par information.... Because their par isn't bad. I mean, I understand why you would market to the planted market, but you can build a par meter for several hundred bucks

I did a lot of research on them. There's another version of the planted plus called the pro coming, but there is almost zero on them.

One of those reviews and the pictures on gwapa is mine. I now have three of them, and I am thinking of a fourth because my cichlid tank is next to the others and looks weird. I have them set a little differently, at 6 pm real life the light is set to 3pm. My 40 breeder with a miracle grow/sand bottom co2 injected tank is heavily planted and growing like gangbusters

From what I have read the arduino guys are annoyed at how the remote is done (changing the time with remote involves 3 flashes) but I can use the single remote on all three fixtures.

If you used Finnex before I think you'll be happy. If you can live with how rigid the timing is I think you'll be happy. If you want a lot of control and setting your own day/night (I think the current doesn't have dawn/dusk) then start saving

The dusk setting has been magical though. Dawn not so much. And the fact that the light is max light for a short period? Perfect.

One other thing, the red led is not what led light snobs consider the correct base wavelength. Personally, I've seen enough presentations and read enough studies so that this doesn't bother me, but if you believe you need perfect red led to grow then that's something else.

Jt731

Members
Yep. I got one of the seneye monitors to play around with. Started off as maybe an arduino system but they add up quick once you start adding sensors. It just happens to also do par.

Hawkman2000

Members
AAARRGH!

Amazon had th plus pro 24" on sale for 135 yesterday. Wnat back after I got home from wark after midnight and it was back to 170. *@£!&÷¥@&

Hawkman2000

Members
About to pull triger of green element 24" 16 x 3w and a current single ramp timer.

I would just hate to find out that the 24/7 has about the same par at 24" when it would be about the sam price.