• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How many gallons?

spazmattik

Members
Does anyone know how many gallons this tank is? I was struggling finding a formula for it. like my skills in paint?

corner.jpg

verbal

CCA Members
Estimating it as a 1/4 cylinder it seems about 40 gallons. Closer to 50 gallons if the base is 3 triangles.

Hawkman2000

Members
Hape of a cube at 22x22x25 is 6050 cubic inches = 26 gallons. Add the angles prob around 30 to 35. Maybe a fouch more.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Measure the water as you put water in the tank and you can get a good answer easily. Use a 5 gallon bucket to fill it but be sure to check the gallons the bucket holds. Lots of 5 gallon buckets actually hold 6 gallons when filled to the top.

spazmattik

Members
Measure the water as you put water in the tank and you can get a good answer easily. Use a 5 gallon bucket to fill it but be sure to check the gallons the bucket holds. Lots of 5 gallon buckets actually hold 6 gallons when filled to the top.

Thats old school Frank! I use a python these days haha.

I am planning on doing that actually when i break it down in a week or two. I will post results ;)

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Old school works and you do not have to do crazy math problems.

Actually I do it in reverse, drain the full tank into a bucket and get the gallons that way.
I did it on a bow front with a hidden space behind the back for filter and heater.

JLW

CCA Members
Alternatively, for filling it ... run your python into a five gallon bucket (as Frank said, know the volume of the bucket), and time it. Say it takes 31 seconds to fill. Now, run the python into the tank and time how long it takes to fill the tank. Say it takes 8 minutes 14 seconds.

8*60 + 14 = 494 seconds. Divide by bucket fill time (31 seconds) = 15.93 buckets, times volume of bucket (5) = 80 gallons.

Your numbers will, of course, vary. You'll have to run the python at full blast, and make it's not kinked.

thedavidzoo

Members
Just did 1/4 of dodecagon (12 sides) x height and came up with 11812.5 cubic in. Calculator says that is equal to 51 gallons.

Quite a difference between 27 and 50...what is it really?:unsure:

JLW

CCA Members
The 12-sided calculation is very wrong.

If you approximate it as a circle, you get a volume of 53 gallons.

JLW

CCA Members
OK, that's it. I'm doing this the RIGHT way. Divide it into three triangles. We need to determine the shared sides. Take the middle triangle, and divide it into two right triangles, which are 25-13/2-X. That third side is therefore 25.83 inches.

So, we have two triangles that are 25.83 x 13 x 22, and one that is 25.83x25.83x13. Now we can find their areas. We can use Herron's theorum for that.

Area of the side triangles works out to be about 144. Area of the middle works out to be 160. Ish. So, 448 square inches in total surface area, times 25 divided by 231.

48 gallons.

Done.

Oh, and for the record, Marineland makes (Made?) a 44-gallon pentagon tank that was 22" on the side. :p

JLW

CCA Members
Meh, doing it as area of three triangles is easier than trying to determine the vertices.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Suppose some of us should hang on to our day jobs.

I like the quarter volume of a dodecahedron - lo tech, as in Ancient Greece.

Really glad to see you all are staying so (insert modifier here).