• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Which do you prefer? FX5 or FX6?

ricksnipe

Members
I have the option of getting either a FX5 or FX6 for the same price. Which would you get? From what i seen the they pump the same amount of water and filter the same amount. Let me know which you prefer.

Howie

Members
FX5

I have the option of getting either a FX5 or FX6 for the same price. Which would you get? From what i seen the they pump the same amount of water and filter the same amount. Let me know which you prefer.

I have two FX5s and thus far they are reliable workhorses. I've never had an FX6--it is a newer model with the same exact GPH rated capacity as the FX5 with slightly upgraded electronics, different plastic screw down lid clamp fasteners (the FX5 has nicer more ergonomic rubberized rounded ones), and an adjustable manual dial on the lid to track dates for cleaning (a cheap useless feature IMO). FYI, in general used FX5s are usually priced significantly less than used FX6s. I would buy the FX5. Whichever you decide, make sure the canister unit, hoses, intake tube assembly and outtake, lid fasteners, rim connectors, retainer clips, media trays, etc. are all in good working condition, since Hagen/Fluval replacement parts are really pricey. Just my .02

frankoq

Members
I'd go for the FX6 if you can get either at same price.
- comes with media
- Fluval claims 10% energy use reduction
- little bit quieter
- indicator dials on lid

JLW

CCA Members
I remember suggesting the indicator dials to Hagen years ago. They could have been better implemented to be actually useful. *sigh* Oh well.

The FX6 is a slight improvement over the FX5. The FX5 has some minor problems with micro bubbles in some cases, collecting gas (like some CCA members), and bypass. These were addressed and fixed in the FX6.

One really neat feature that the FX6 has (the FX5 may have it as well) is an occasional "purge" of bubbles. The pump will stop running once every 12 or 24 hours (I don't recall) and allow bubbles to collect, which are then automatically purged. It does this about 1 minute after being plugged in, which... if you don't know it's going to do it, can be a little frustrating (the filter does come with this romance novel about this Hispanic fellow named Manuel, but I never read it). You get it all working, and it just shuts off, and I don't know why, and I took it apart, and it started working again, and then it stopped, and what am I doing with my life, man, what am I doing....

AquaStudent

Members
That novel about Manuel is quite a read! It's full of danger, romance, and adventure. Definitely worth the time.

I'm running an FX6 on a 135G. It's been going a year now and has been a solid workhorse. For the same price I'd get the newer model. You should be able to find FX5's for a discounted price.

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
Who is selling these? I'll take the one you dont.
I have an fx6 and it works amazingly, I love it. Its the best filter I have ever bought, second only to my sump.