• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pond questions

lkelly

Members
So I have been called in as the SME on a pond install at my son's elementary school. Of course I've never had a pond so it's like asking Jim Kelly (no relation) about winning Super Bowls.

I'm told the pond will be 200-250 gallons I'm told.

A few questions:

1. What would people suggest for filtration? Specifically equipment brands and models...

2. Heater? This is for the Richmond area and will be in an enclosed (on the sides) outdoor courtyard getting some sun.

3. Livestock advice? I'm assuming they will go with some form of goldfish but any alternatives or at least variety recommendations would be great.

4. Plants? We're talking easy to maintain here since I have no idea how excited the school staff will be to take care of something on a daily basis.

Wow me with your wisdom, CCA!

Becca

Members
De-icer for the winter, just something that keeps a hole in the ice. Potted Iris plants.

Just a couple of comets or shubunkins - odds are they won't be doing water changes so you want to limit the fish. Alternately, white clouds will winter over and are not so dirty. The gold variety is even visible in a pond.

londonloco

Members
We live in Manassas, VA and have a 1200g pond, thought I'd weigh:

1. What would people suggest for filtration? Specifically equipment brands and models...

We have a Pondmaster Proline 4000 with UV filter, running a Pondmaster Hy Drive 4000 Pump, filter and pump have been running for 4 years now with out any hiccups, we did this year replace the UV bulb.

2. Heater? This is for the Richmond area and will be in an enclosed (on the sides) outdoor courtyard getting some sun.

No heater, our comets, shubunkins and even one pleco survived last winter (very very cold one), and we even forgot the Di-icer this winter!

3. Livestock advice? I'm assuming they will go with some form of goldfish but any alternatives or at least variety recommendations would be great.

Too small for koi, so comets and shubunkins. Four years ago I went and bought thirty five 17cent comets at our local Petsmart. 25 have survived for 4 years and are now 5-6" long. Beautiful fish! I was extremely surprised the pleco survived, also two apple snails, however our pond is 2 feet above and 2 feet below ground, which I believe is deep enough to be below our "frost line".

4. Plants? We're talking easy to maintain here since I have no idea how excited the school staff will be to take care of something on a daily basis.

After several years and several types of plants, I've settled on Dwarf Paprus and Lily's.

Hope this helps.