• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Breeding Cynotilapia Afra

maddog10

Members
Just a quick note on breeding Cynotilapia afra, IMO the best MF ratio is AT LEAST 3 males and 8 females. I know you can breed with just a pair but you really have to watch out for aggression. I have a group of afra (Puulu) with 6 males and 15 females, it is a very productive group, that I keep in a 40 long (have also kept the same group in a 20 high). The group is large enough that aggression is dispersed through the group and no significant damage to any one fish occurs. I have a single pile of rocks which the fish use for breeding. The subdominate males are always testing the alpha male but no real challenges to his throne yet. Just about any change (water temp, water changes) seems to trigger the fish to breed. I generally allow the females to hold for 7-10 days before I remove and place them in a 2-1/2 gallon tank and allow them to naturally spit the fry. I will then, within a day, remove the mom and place her in a 10 gallon tank for about a week so I can monitor her health and make sure she is feeding well. If all is well she goes back into the main tank. Once I have enough fry (which can happen in a week) I remove all of the males and place them in 2-1/2 gallon tanks. If you want to try your hand at breeding cichlids Cynotilapia afras are a good choice. They breed in small tanks, are relatively inexpensive and are EASY to breed.

[attachmentid=183]

Great looking fish. I have a colony of C. afra white top Hara (Gallireya reef) that I picked up at ACA. They are still a little young at about 2" but it looks like I have 3 males and 7 females in all. Right now they are in a 40 and seem to be getting along with each other real well. The dominant male has colored up nicely. Maybe by spring I will have some fry to go with them.
Andy