• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Algea issue

Hawkman2000

Members
I have brown algae on my vals and crypts and a thin layer of bright green on my plants closer to the top (christmas moss and ciliata). I am thinking about treating with the plant safe api algaefix. Read online not safe for inverts. Would this include mts?

Maybe adjusting the light? What would he good color settings for this tank. 37tall with current sat plus pro.

uploadfromtaptalk1441132737036.jpg

Jt731

Members
How new is the setup? Do you put ferts in? How much/how often?

In my experience with a couple of tanks my green algae was fixed with moving the light higher. Lots of folks reduce the photo period (have the light on less).

For me brown was mostly newer tank and went away.

Some people will take the plants out and give them a dip (Google that if you want). Others will use higher doses of flourish excel which has some anti algae properties.

Algae grows because you have excess nutrients in the water. Could be fish waste, food, or as simple as a nutrient imbalance (lots of phosphorus not enough potassium for example)

Hawkman2000

Members
Thanks for the info folks. I heavily dosed the tank with excell for 2 weeks along with 50% water changes weekly and the problem is solved.