• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Moving question

Hawkman2000

Members
I am moving to Orlando soon, and I have a couple questions.

I have a large styro cooler, and I would like to know if I need to use something like a hefty bag in it to trasport my fish.

I also have an inverter, air pump, and a home made sponge filter. I don?t think the inverter can handle a heater.

Is there anthing else I need to consider?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
You don't have to have a bag in the cooler, but it would be cheap insurance to prevent a leak in transit. Check with one of the local fish stores. Many get box bags in their shipments in case one of the smaller bags leaks. I have gotten them for free at Rick's in Frederick in the past. If you use a garbage bag, make sure it isn't one that is scented.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wsantia1

CCA Members
I had a couple of 25w heaters plugged into an inverter when I transported fish from Chicago to Delaware about 1.5 years ago. I had the fish in two 5 gallon buckets with lids. I cut holes in the center of the lids and ran the cords through that. I also had a small air pump connected to that inverter. I used a small (2) gang valve to connect two sponges to it. I transported 12 Angels and a bunch of bristlenose and corys in those buckets. I had no casualties.

Hawkman2000

Members
Cutteri pair, 2 tiger barbs, yoyo loach, and an abn.

Inverter, check
Air pump, check
Styro coolers, check
Sponge filter, check

Dont think I will need the heater, the styro cooler should be enough. Just in case, I'll have one handy.

JLW

CCA Members
Frankly, I think the only fish I would take would be the cutteri pair. The tiger barbs, yoyo loach, and ancistrus are all easily replaced.

Hawkman2000

Members
Frankly, I think the only fish I would take would be the cutteri pair. The tiger barbs, yoyo loach, and ancistrus are all easily replaced.

The problem is the gf always starts whinning whenever I get a new fish. Not that I let it stop me. It will be less stressfull to move them all rather than deal with the "blah blah, you already have 2 fish, blah blah, why do you need more, wah wah wah".

Plus I've had them for 5 years and I'm a bit attached to them.

Hawkman2000

Members
I'd bag them individually, put them in a styro with a heat pack or 3 and drive...

Matt

I though about that, but I think since its going to be a 13 to 14 hour drive, it would be better to have some bio-filtration for them. This would make separate bags difficult.

dogofwar

CCA Members
You definitely don't need bio filtration for 12-13 hours in a bag. Fish are routinely shipped for multiples of that amount of time.

Just fast them for 3 days prior to the move.

A piece of polyfilter or the like in the bag couldn't hurt ... nor would bagging with oxygen ... but I'd definitely just bag the fish (with treated tap), keep them in dark styro and roll...

Matt

I though about that, but I think since its going to be a 13 to 14 hour drive, it would be better to have some bio-filtration for them. This would make separate bags difficult.

Rasta Fish

Members
I would think a 5gl bucket some air would all you need to move them
They are not that big and that should work the heat in the vehicle should be all you need but you can always use a small heater in the bucket

Hawkman2000

Members
Stuck with the hefty bag in the styro-cooler. I ran the sponge filter for a few hours during transport. Got in sunday afternoon, unloaded the car, set up the tank, redecorated, filled the tank (had a 37 gallon Rubbermaid full of treated water waiting for me), acclimated the fish, and put them back in there home.

Been 2 days, tanks is clear and fish look good.