• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Will glass tops support lights?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I need to add some lighting to my 125g. The tank is an older model and only has one brace- in the center. I have an extra 48" twin strip and an extra 24" twin strip. Obviously the 48" will be supported by the frame and the center brace. My question is do you think that the 24" twin-tube can safelt be supported by the glass top?

I realize that even if it can support the weight of the light, should something happen, the light will fall into the tank. Maybe I should come up with another plan...

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have a 4 foot light on my 5 foot 120 with glass tops with no issues. Unless your tops don't fit very well, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I think you'll be fine as well. Both of my 125s have 4' light strips sitting in the middle of the 6' with no issues. The weight of the light is evenly distributed across the whole top.

Just watch out for lights with legs. I broke a top one time with one of these. Was my own stupidity though - had the metal legs on each end sitting on the glass and not on the frame. The whole weight of the light (heavy PC fixture) was concentrated in the two spots at the end of the light.

JasonC

Members
If still concerned, get some lengths of furring strips or a flat molding that will span the tank This should allow the weight to be distributed to the frame rather than the glass. Maybe 3 pieces running front to back?